Diadem Forums

[SPAZZ] the new MV, do you find it "racist"???

khloroos

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not racist, but it could be construed as insensitive to the Native American culture. My boyfriend is Native American and he just shook his head when he saw it. You have to understand a lot of the stereotypical Native American imagery was created out of hatred and used as insults to show how 'savage' they were. That's why it can be seen as offensive. Spirit dances are common in the Native American culture, certain moves that they do are because it was taught through generation to generation as a special act, anyone who copies those moves aren't doing it out of respect they're doing it because it's 'cool'.

T-ara isn't to blame, they didn't do anything wrong and it's not racist, but if you don't understand why it could be offensive, then take the time to learn about the Native American culture so that you can give an informed answer in a discussion like this. To many people aren't willing to learn about why someone could be hurt by something, it's not 'politically correct' it's just being educated and courteous.

+1

Omg, best post out of the whole thread. Very nicely said and I wholeheartedly agree.

Racist? No.

But there was stereotyping of Natives, that being said it would happen in any situation when looking at a culture or ethnicity because there is usually a pre-existing idea. So I don't think it is offensive or racist since there is no prejudice to go along with the stereotype.

T-ara isn't to blame, they didn't do anything wrong and it's not racist, but if you don't understand why it could be offensive, then take the time to learn about the Native American culture so that you can give an informed answer in a discussion like this. To many people aren't willing to learn about why someone could be hurt by something, it's not 'politically correct' it's just being educated and courteous.

Thanks for providing a voice of reason :)

In my opinion, the video is more insensitive than racist - I think the difference is that rather than promoting a negative/hateful view of the Native Americans (= racist), it uses old stereotypes about the people without considering the underlying meaning behind those stereotypes. Probably unknowingly. Still bad though. I wish CCM/whoever who ultimately decided on the concept had thought through it more.

More worryingly, there's a dude up there saying "barbaric tribes" - WTF?!?!?!? I think that crosses the line. And anybody who thinks the Yayaya concept isn't a specific reference to Native American culture (or their perceived culture), please please please please stop kidding yourselves.

Anyway about the video - it's cute, it's memorable, unfortunately it's a little tactless.

By the way, anybody seen MC Mong's "Indian Boy"? Now THAT's screwed.

... Really? Seriously? That's what people chose to freak out over? Okay, I'm from America and I guess that *anything* could be called 'racist', but I don't know that the MV was bad. They looked cute dressed up like that and I don't think they were acting particularly 'barbaric' from what I saw. I don't know, maybe some people didn't like it, but I'm not sure why it would be a big deal..... It was a concept and concepts are meant to be 'over the top' and extravagant, so people will remember it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

honestly i don't know if racist is the right word (maybe stereotyping), because they were just doin it for fun. however, i'm sure a lot of native americans would be offended to see this, kinda of like when white actors in black face or even imitating asians in those old movie

i'm still a t-ara fan though

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...