Diadem Forums

[11.07.06] T-ara retro and Wonder Girls retro concept are different, reason being?

Typhoon

[11.07.06] T-ara retro and Wonder Girls retro concept are different, reason being?

gallery_5371_1278_67133.jpg

Hyomin, the leader of the girl group T-ara expressed the difference between their new song "Roly-Poly" retro concept with other girl groups and said: "We're showing what our parents era looked like with South Korean's retro style."

On the 5th July afternoon, at the Japan Tokyo Shibuya AX Hall, after T-ara's first showcase has ended, Hyomin was interviewed on the retro concept on their latest album.

Hyomin expressed, "The retro concept trend needs a lot of catching up and I believe that most of the girl groups will feel sick and tired of the concept easily, because of how to deal with it and there's also a lot of stress to continue the retro style."

Continuing, Hyomin explained, "Wonder Girls's songs 'Tell Me', 'So Hot' and 'Nobody' are a fad for retro, SNSD's 'Hoot' was a retro of girls power that has received a lot of love. T-ara must have a completely different retro feel from them."

"Wonder Girls concept is African, and SNSD's concept is Western retro concept. But for our retro concept, it's really South Korea's retro concept. We really show that what our parent's retro era looked like."

Prior to the conference, the movie "Sunny" has shaken a total of 600 millions viewers and has became a popular movie topic among them. Soyeon represented and said, "Indeed the movie 'Sunny' was linked to our retro concept, the concept has been thought on long ago but nobody started the process, but it started in the middle of the process, like that the movie has succeeded. I feel very grateful. From the start I'd never think that it could match so well together. I am really grateful. This raised the curiosity of members wanting to watch this movie. For us, will be like an unforgettable and touching movie."

Eunjung expressed, "By looking at our concept, you will know that we are a mixture of East and Western retro. 'Sunny' and John Travolta and 'Saturday Night Fever' are all mixed together, wanting to show the retro trend."

In addition, the T-ara members said, "We heard that a lot of people are loving this concept, especially adults felt the retro feel is there. They've shown us a lot of love. Although in Japan, people are not sure about the retro trends in Korea, but we understand as long as the fans show us a lot of love we are more then happy."

"Because showing 'Roly-Roly' instead of 'Bo Peep Bo Peep 2', confusion occurs. We think that it will gain more anticipation?" Expressing the feeling of looking forward.

Source: T-araChina

Credits: Typhoon @ Diadem

I still love T-ara's concept of retro out of the 3 groups even though i'm a sone as well, i would say theirs are the most accurate representation of the retro we're most familiar with. Not to sound like an anti of Wonder Girls but i don't subscribe to having an alien in a retro concept.

wonder girls are south african concept??

for which one??

wonder girls is a retro group, but i never thought to compare roly poly or t-ara to them o__O

i think wonder girls, t-ara, and snsd all do the retro concepts well :blink:

i agree....but what is south African retro anyways? weird!

I think she means Wondergirls' retro concept is reminiscent of African American retro. If you look at Two Different Tears and see how they style their hair and clothes it kind of reminds me of the movie Dreamgirls. That seems to be the direction JYP is promoting the Wondergirls in North America, as they're always seen taking pictures with a lot of African American celebrities.

I don't know South Korea's retro concept but I know for sure that Roly Poly is disco! Disco is awesome anywhere in the world.

whichever retro concept there are in the Korean Music Industry, i like T-ARA's the most, not saying this because i'm in a T-ARA fandom, it's the truth, i mean SNSD's hoot was okay, but it got really, annoying hearing the hoots. sorry for you SNSD fans out there. and Wonder Girl's Nobody, it was good at first, but it got old with time and age haha,

T-ARA's Roly Poly is quite new, and concept that it shows how S.Koreans used to look back in the day, it's great haha.