Diadem Forums

[12.05.30] Chart Ranking - T-ara's "Lovey-Dovey (Japanese ver.)" #9 on the Oricon weekly singles chart

randall

[12.05.30] Chart Ranking - T-ara's "Lovey-Dovey (Japanese ver.)" #9 on the Oricon weekly singles chart

Oricon Weekly singles - May 21 to May 27 - ☆ NEW (9th place - 19,245 copies sold)

Lovey-Dovey-Oricon.png

Source: ORICON STYLE

Credit: oh♔randall @ tiaradiadem.com

i didn't expect lovey-dovey to sell much since jewelry box is coming out in another week so i'm not disappointed

19k ??? That's huge ! Really didn't expect that much since the album is coming out in a few days. The last time Korean artist did so (U-Kiss and 2ne1) they only sold about 3k of their single while their album did about 20k. Well, those are flop artists in Japan but still, 19k is an amazing feature. Now there's hope the album will break the 100k margin within its first week.

19k is good? I don't know much about J-Pop sales numbers but it seems like a flop to me debuting at No. 9, T-ara's worst yet. And they did so much promo for this. More than for any one of their other j-singles.

Wikipedia has their first week sales as MUCH higher. Bo Peep almost did 50k, Roly Poly 41k, Yayaya 31k. 19k is a big flop.

I don't blame T-ara this time for their promotion because they did LOTS. I blame the single being a cheap remake and not an original japanese song, which they should have used to lead their album with, like SNSD did with Mr. Taxi.

19k is good? I don't know much about J-Pop sales numbers but it seems like a flop to me debuting at No. 9, T-ara's worst yet. And they did so much promo for this. More than for any one of their other j-singles.

19k is good only considering Jewelry Box comes out next week. I'm sure not everyone wants to spend so much on a single when an entire album that also has that single will be out a couple weeks later. I don't know how much it costs in Japan, but the 18/26 USD Lovey Dovey costs on yesasia and the 36/45/92 USD price tag on the same site is killer!

Were I not a fanboy, I would've laughed at anyone getting both. But as for me.. that's 120 dollars on my babies <3.

It's at number 27 on the daily chart, so it took a pretty big tumble from yesterday, but a bunch of new singles just came out and T-ara's never been very good at maintaining longevity on the singles chart in Japan. At this rate it'll be amazing if it can sell 40k.

It's at number 27 on the daily chart, so it took a pretty big tumble from yesterday, but a bunch of new singles just came out and T-ara's never been very good at maintaining longevity on the singles chart in Japan. At this rate it'll be amazing if it can sell 40k.

The point isn't to sell singles there, but to sell albums. Those sales are just a bonus, wait for the album release. Plus, T-ara has a solid longevity in Japan. Bo Peep stayed relevant in the charts for about 5 months. It sold above 130k while its 1st week was 50k.

Wikipedia has their first week sales as MUCH higher. Bo Peep almost did 50k, Roly Poly 41k, Yayaya 31k. 19k is a big flop.

I don't blame T-ara this time for their promotion because they did LOTS. I blame the single being a cheap remake and not an original japanese song, which they should have used to lead their album with, like SNSD did with Mr. Taxi.

For a "prophet" you're a bit outdated. Like someone answered you, the album is coming out in a few days. Kara barely did better last November when they released a single a month before the album. Those sales are just a bonus, it's the album sales that matter. Besides, the last Korean artist who did the same thing (U-Kiss and 2ne1) barely sold 3k of their singles, while the album sold about 20k. So yeah, 19k is really good for this kind of release. And don't forget that the album contains original Japanese tracks as well.

The point isn't to sell singles there, but to sell albums. Those sales are just a bonus, wait for the album release. Plus, T-ara has a solid longevity in Japan. Bo Peep stayed relevant in the charts for about 5 months. It sold above 130k while its 1st week was 50k

Don't get your panties in a bunch, dude. The point is to sell whatever the artist releases, be it single or album, so that nullifies your claim that singles sales aren't important. If they weren't then they wouldn't be so insanely expensive. Plus single sales can be a good barometer of how well an album will sell on release, so yeah, single sales are kind of important, otherwise they wouldn't release three or four singles before releasing the album. And please don't lecture me on how album and single sales work in Japan, I'm pretty sure I've got a handle on it. And no, 20,000 is not that great for this kind of release.

Really guys, I don't think that this was a flop.. T-ara is still new in Japan and you can't expect them to pass the top 5 mark every time they debut a new song.. being able to get a #1 for Bo Peep was an extraordinary astounding accomplishment (which why they keep on mentioning it whenever T-ara guests in TV shows there..).. it was a historic first time for a foreign girl band and not something you expect to repeat every three months or so..

Even at #9, how many other acts from Japan, America, Britain, and even Korea did they they actually surpassed in the charts? Hundreds! To give it a bit more of perspective they even beat fellow CCM act: Supernova! (at #8 with Stupid Love) And those guys have been in Japan for years and have a serious fan base there..

19k sales (just for the debut.. its still selling) without the expenses of producing, choreographing, wardrobe-ing, training etc. a new song still equals a heck load of moolah for our girls.. They haven't passed SNSD and Kara but still light years ahead of 4minute, Secret and Rainbow (which debuted earlier) in Japan..

I am also not really worried about T-ara not using original japanese songs yet since they still need to introduce their unique sound to the J-public. SNSD's Mr. Taxi was awesome (which is why they brought it back to Korea) but I really don't like any of Kara's Japanese songs and I am worried that T-ara will also get similar J-duds.. can't wait for the new album for the girls to prove me wrong...

My real gripe about T-ara's promotion strategy in Japan is that they are known for being the "chameleons" of K-pop.. you got "Lies", "Bo Peep," "IGCBOY" "Like the Begining" "CryCry" etc.etc. they go from cute to sexy to cool concepts. But for Japan? Bo Peep followed by YaYaYa followed by Roly Poly followed by Lovey Dovey.. thats cute to cute all the way... And I would like to shoot the guy who put the K-version of Roly Poly in the Yayaya singles CD just months from actually releasing the Japanese Roly Poly single..

PS: Anyone else think it would be AWESOME to see Supernova and the girls get back together for a Japanese version of "Time to Love (3?)" :P

Me me me ^^ I would die if supernova and T-ara promoted my Fav song for all time!! Really I want TTL Japanese version. I deffenitly would be a hit.

Btw I agree with you in everything you said me also I don't like any KARA Japanese releases where I like SNSD Japanese releases more than the Korean once.

Anyway I really hope T-ara will promote something different like you said something other than cute or funky!

Don't get your panties in a bunch, dude. The point is to sell whatever the artist releases, be it single or album, so that nullifies your claim that singles sales aren't important. If they weren't then they wouldn't be so insanely expensive. Plus single sales can be a good barometer of how well an album will sell on release, so yeah, single sales are kind of important, otherwise they wouldn't release three or four singles before releasing the album. And please don't lecture me on how album and single sales work in Japan, I'm pretty sure I've got a handle on it. And no, 20,000 is not that great for this kind of release.

There's one word that comes out when I read this : "stupid". But let's remain polite. Lovey Dovey single and the album Jewelry Box are joint releases. It doesn't compare with the previous singles which were the actual release. Here, the single of Lovey Dovey is just a preview of the album, or a plus for collectors of T-ara. Seriously people, how hard is that to understand ?

The point isn't to sell singles there, but to sell albums. Those sales are just a bonus, wait for the album release. Plus, T-ara has a solid longevity in Japan. Bo Peep stayed relevant in the charts for about 5 months. It sold above 130k while its 1st week was 50k.

For a "prophet" you're a bit outdated. Like someone answered you, the album is coming out in a few days. Kara barely did better last November when they released a single a month before the album. Those sales are just a bonus, it's the album sales that matter. Besides, the last Korean artist who did the same thing (U-Kiss and 2ne1) barely sold 3k of their singles, while the album sold about 20k. So yeah, 19k is really good for this kind of release. And don't forget that the album contains original Japanese tracks as well.

Uh well considering all the promo they've done, 19k really doesn't seem that great. We will see how the album actually does, because so far out of four single releases, T-ara has only had one decent hit with Bo Peep Bo Peep. Every time they promote new things they keep mentioning Bo Peep because it seems to be the only thing Japan knows them for.

Hopefully the album does well and the fact that they only put two original songs on it doesn't hurt them, since Jewelry Box is mostly filled with cheap b-sides and previously released material.

There's one word that comes out when I read this : "stupid". But let's remain polite. Lovey Dovey single and the album Jewelry Box are joint releases. It doesn't compare with the previous singles which were the actual release. Here, the single of Lovey Dovey is just a preview of the album, or a plus for collectors of T-ara. Seriously people, how hard is that to understand ?

You sound so touchy and over the top jumping down me and Bri's throats. You need to chill out and stop being such a mental stan.