Diadem Forums

[12.12.28] T-ara named top 10 beloved K-Pop singer in 2012

Guest Higara

Gallup Korea, the biggest research company in Korea, revealed 2012 the most beloved K-Pop singer in Dec 28th. T-ara ranked top 10 for two consecutive years (No.8 in 2011, No 7 in 2012). Here's the result.

Summary of Survey

- Surveyed nationwide (except Jeju Island) only 13 to 59-year-old men and women total 4,157 people

- Survey methods: individual interviews (face-to-face investigator interview)

- Period: May 2nd - 16th, September 12th - 26th, Nov 15th ~ 30th

- Sampling Cluster Sampling: two stratified

- Sampling Error: ± 1.5% (95% confidence level)

- Authority commissioned Gallup Korea conducted its own investigation

2012's most beloved singers (rank / artist / % / title song)

1 PSY 2 SNSD 3 Big Bang 4 IU 5 Jang Yoonjung 6 Sistar 7 T-ARA 8 B2ST 9 Tae Jinah 10 Busker Busker

G20121228_1.jpg

No matter what haters say, many K-peoples still keep supporting our girls. Keep it up t-ara! :lol:

Source : Gallup (http://www.gallup.co...&searchKeyword=)

Source : http://www.asiae.co....122813493612665

I can imagine how much better result would actually be if there was no controversy. If you look at investigation periods two of them fall after controversy where one was in September.

Yet they did get great rating anyway. I wish you all the best next year T-ara girls!

I can imagine how much better result would actually be if there was no controversy. If you look at investigation periods two of them fall after controversy where one was in September.

Yet they did get great rating anyway. I wish you all the best next year T-ara girls!

Yes,this survey was made AFTER the controversy took place and yet they still managed to be in the Top 8.Actually,what surprised me even more is that they rank higher than last year after seeing how T-ara's days starting from the middle of this year was "basically over" as claimed by haters.

(Off topic but even IU who was apparently "the biggest scandal in 2012" as said by netizens was rank at #4.Congrats to all winners :) )

But then,the number of participants were quite low though....

Sampling Cluster Sampling: two stratified

- Point Sampling Error: ± 1.5% (95% confidence level)

Can someone tell me what is the meaning of that?

T-ara is household name I guess.

Only 5 idol groups made it, and T-ara are one of the 3 girl groups among the 5 groups total. Safe to say T-ara is very very loved in terms of girl group by vast audience.

SISTAR rank higher by 1 point is understandable, they got 2 chart topping songs. If only T-ara hadn't had that scandal, they would have had 2 chart topping songs too, and probably ranked higher.

But still, impressive.

Confidence Level is statistical measure in conducting survey/sampling. In layman's term, that 95% would probably mean something like "95% of the population within the same age range (13 to 59) would agree to the result of the survey."

Short version: It's about how the survey was done (from a math perspective).

Bit longer (also more math):

2 stratified means (iirc) that you have your poll results (1st sample) and then select a 2nd sample from within the first sample and use this 2nd sample for your statistic. This is done to prevent a certain bias from your selection method.

i.e. if you did your 1st sample at 10am in a supermarket, you would probably get almost no children (they're at school), and not a lot of the working population (they're at work). So to be still representative you select your 2nd sample to be certain age groups, certain occupations, gender, and randomly chose people fitting those criterias from the 1st sample.

"Sampling Error: ± 1.5" Just is the possible error which can occur when using your polled population. So it's i.e. possible that T-ara (which are listed at 5.5%) could actually be as high as 7% (5.5+1.5) or as low as 4% in the reality. This also applies to everybody else in this poll. But the actual result is very likely (see below) to be within 7% and 4%.

95% confidence interval means, that the result is correct in 95% of cases. Keep in mind they only asked 4,157 people and they're extrapolating from those people to the whole population. In 95% of cases of a survey done with the same method (asked population, result, ...) is going to be a correct representation of the whole population.

95% is a normal number for confidence intervals, others are 99% (or even higher if it's something critical, where i.e. lives depend on it). You can fit in a higher confidence interval by increasing the asked population.

It basically just says "We're 95% sure that our result is correct".

Confidence Level is statistical measure in conducting survey/sampling. In layman's term, that 95% would probably mean something like "95% of the population within the same age range (13 to 59) would agree to the result of the survey."

that means, if you survey 100 times with randon sample, 95 times you will get the same result as above.

A good thing going for T-ara is that their songs are radio friendly and can be enjoyed by people in both genders and a wide range of age demographics.. so if Korean teens and tweenies think that listening to T-ara is not cool (for now ~bet their still listening when they are not with their friends), there still many who still enjoy T-ara's music & charm.

Just look at the survey's Best 5 Singers for People in their 30′s

1. Psy – 28.9%

2. Girls’ Generation – 22.1%

3. Big Bang – 9.6%

4. SISTAR – 8.1%

5. T-ara 7.7%

Come on girls, if you can still do this with controversies in 2012, imagine what you can do in 2013? (KKS please don't screw the year up again..)

yay \o/ good news for everyone. our girls are strong and made it to top 10 again ^.^

2012 isn't that bad, still lot of good things happened.

i wish the best for t-ara on this upcoming year 2013.

queen's, let's do our best to support them ^^

Happy 2013 for all of us <3

But then,the number of participants were quite low though....

It's actually quite high. To conduct a survey and research efficiently, economically and effectively, they will have to choose a sampling design - to decide on which part of the population and who to survey. In this case, Cluster sampling(I believe they chose Seoul so that their research is relevant) and stratified sampling were used.

As long as sampling designs are used in a research - which basically means that they are carrying out a survey instead of a census - there will be sampling error. However, since the sampling Error is ± 1.5% (95% confidence level), the researchers believe that the difference in result shouldn't be too great even if they interviewed every single person in South Korea.