Diadem Forums

[13.03.20] Chart Ranking - "Bunny Style!" debuts at #2 on the Oricon Daily Chart

Chesskid1

40k in the first day - have people already forgotten that the album was sold in multiple versions (specifically, 10 versions) and that chances are a good portion of fans bought more than one version for themselves? If it was sold in just one version, the sales probably would have been much lower on first day of sales - it's not Bunny Style the fans are after - it's the solo and duo/trio stuff from the members they're going for, so naturally more copies of the album would be available in stock.

Here's something I found just recently that gives more nitpicks on first week sales.

Bo PeepBo Peep  yayaya  Roly- Poly  Lovey-Dovey  バニスタ
    9/28     11/30   12/2/29   12/5/23   13/3/20
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
月  ---,---   ---,---   ---,---   ---,---   ---,---
火  *20,068   *12,623   *14,999   **7,876   *40,705
水  **9,840   **7,026   *10,031   **3,786             
木  **4,379   **3,221   **6,036   **2,057       
金  **3,926   **2,333   **2,828   **1,759     
土  **6,125   **2,607   **3,168   **1,905
日  **3,526   **2,412   **2,548   **1,458
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
計  *47,864   *30,222   *39,610   *18,841   *40,705

None of their previous stuff was sold in multiple versions as opposed to their current one.

Aside from all that, what really matters is how long T-ara can stay at the top of the chart - right now, KARA and SNSD - its two biggest rivals in Japan aren't even promoting there (unless you count SNSD's tour till April, which doesn't count since they didn't release a new song in Japanese as of now) so it shouldn't come as a surprise that the group has managed to reach up #2 at current. Hell, even that mediocre song from SNSD known as 'Flower Power' reached #5 on its release, and that wasn't even largely well-liked among the fandom either.

And if past promotional patterns have shown, doesn't T-ara always tend to promoted more heavily in Japan during late winter/early spring as well?

The '48 groups are a force of nature (they often break one million in album sales) so #2 is an AWESOME accomplishment..

The Ninki pre-ranking placed Kyari Pyamu-Pyamu at number #1 and yet it got #3 with 8,600 day one sales (compared to T-ara's 40k+) so its a huge success in my book. Congrats! And a great thank you to all the Int'l Queens who also pre-ordered Bunny Style!

Yeah, it really is a reason to celebrate! :) Some Queen's (including myself) were concerned fans would be upset with 10 different versions, since most of their previous singles had 3 versions, but obviously it worked and it shows how devoted their Japanese fans are. (I wonder if anyone else will try this 10 version strategy, I almost hope not for the sake of all Queen's wallets! xD)

^

^ I believe that's apparent. It's a good scheme too to sell more, but it doesn't mean it's not something to celebrate. I think the songs are pretty good and it's great the fans went out and bought them all, be it even one or two. We're doing our thing in the end in to support T-ara and it's great we managed to push them up rather high. Even with the multiple versions, I wasn't expecting 40k on the first day truthfully.

Previous releases did have multiple versions though 3 at max but yeah, now we gotta see how the survive on the charts. SNSD's recent sales have been lower compared to previous but I wouldn't necessarily use Flower Power as an example as it was right before their second album release. Same situation occurred for Lovey Dovey.