Diadem Forums

[13.04.09] T-ara's hip-hop unit.. Hyomin caught shopping with stylist in Japan

nathaniel

[13.04.09] T-ara's hip-hop unit.. Hyomin caught shopping with stylist in Japan

2013499417i70whks_T5_41881.jpg

Girl group T-ara will return. However, first four members will comeback in a unit. Eunjung, Hyomin, Jiyeon and Areum will star in T-ara's first unit. The song is called "Rural Life" but other than that, the precise concept, activity period and comeback direction is all mysterious.

The title of the song makes it seem like the song will be retro. The song title reminiscent of T-ara's previous "old style" song concept. At the end of a long controversy, T-ara will attempt to show their colors once again.

"Dispatch" covered their recent unit. On the 6th, Hyomin was immersed in shopping in downtown Tokyo with a stylist. She was in Omotesando, Harajuku and Shibuya searching for the perfect style.

Hyomin and the stylist chose unexpected items including colorful necklaces, wide-brimmed hats, etc.. At the end, a retro concept looked like a hip-hop concept. T-ara is preparing for a hip-hop warrior concept for their new song.

20134923056iuggshj_T5_41871.jpg

- Hyomin directly purchased costumes for T-ara's unit

T-ara's fashionista Hyomin turned into a stylist. On behalf of the other members, Hyomin directly bought items for the unit. Hyomin was focused while in the luxury shop La Foret in Shibuya.

Previously, Hyomin aided help in the "Roly-Poly" stage costumes. An official said, "Hyomin's extraordinary insight into styles and clothing was seen when T-ara operated a shopping mall during their debut. The members trust Hyomin will do a good job."

Hyomin was attentive while picking out the costumes. Hyomin was looked for everything from earrings, neckalces, shoes, hats and all the requirements needed for activity and made various purchases.

Hyomin sought out the advice of the employees and stylists and even asked for the opinion of the fans she met at the store.

201349234366yv3shj_T5_41872.jpg

- Shopping scenario? Back to hip-hop!

Most of the items Hyomin bought were reminiscent of hip-hop. With figure-hugging clothes and loose jumpers in unique styles. She also bought gaudy accessories and unique framed sunglasses and necklaces with a variety of decorations.

Dispatch observed Hyomin and Hyomin's direction was similar to Big Bang and Lady Gaga's. Hyomin is going for a more unconventional and experimental style of attraction.

The unit's concept can usually be inferred through the stage costumes. Already known that it's retro, but the overall style is that of "hip-hop". There seems to be a big gap between the two. The stage performance can be looked forward to because the choreography and song will have a powerful and intense hook.

2013491058594wgdpup_T5_41895.jpg

- More than 20 people as back-up dancers? Powerful and hip-hop?

T-ara is loved for their easy-to-follow point choreography. However, this unit will be Brand New from head-to-toe. Hyomin began implying the transformation when she was shopping. The differentiation with hip-hop hats and colorful jumpers is the start.

It's expected that each member will be dressed based on their personality. The choreography will be bold. They also are expected to take full advantage of hand and foot-work.

T-ara's transformation can be confirmed by the dance team. For the stage choreography, a four person unit will be joined by 20 back-dancers. The point is the choreography, but the overall style will be completely different. An official said it's too early to release the specific concept.

A unique combination of members will make up T-ara's unit. Hyomin, Jiyeon and Eunjung showed off their masculine dance moves during their Japanese tour. At the very least, the unit is likely to take a "cute and youthful" twist to a radically unconventional concept.

20134911555yr8lshj_T5_41902.jpg

2013492659d75qshj_T5_41852.jpg

20134926592604shj_T5_41851.jpg

2013492706y8xshj_T5_41854.jpg

Source: http://news.nate.com/view/20130409n11085

Translated by: Nathaniel @ Diadem

Dispatch observed Hyomin and Hyomin's direction was similar to Big Bang and Lady Gaga's.

Seriously,why would Dispatch mentioned Big Bang and Lady Gaga?I don't have problems with it but this line is enough for more antis and haters to create a fanwar especially since most VIPs are really "protective" over their idols (but of course not all VIPs are like that though :) )

More than 20 people as back-up dancers?

Boy...I hope not.It will be a total mess.I'd say 3-4 backup dancers are enough.Or better,none.Just the 4 of them is good enough.

The only thing that is positive with this news is that IF it is a Hip-Hop style,then this style really suit EunJiMin.I can't say the same with Areum though because she's new but I hope she can adapt well.T-ara is the chameleon of KPOP so girl,you need to keep up with it.

Oh for the love of God, if it's hip-hop....oh dear hell no. The last thing any K-pop idol group needs is trying to go for the hip-hop concept, especially when K-hiphop itself is a pretty well-known and prevalent sub-sector of the music industry in Korea.

Edit - The person who wrote the article seems to not know that Harajuku is actually in the Shibuya ward, and even then, there's a separate shopping district commonly called 'Shibuya' located elsewhere in the area. Having been in Harajuku myself a few years back...let's just say that a lot of the stuff sold there is pretty...well, whacky.

Boy, I still remember that shop owner who had piercings covering all of her lips, nose, ears and even eyebrows :3 And the black guys that try to pressure you to buy their stuff by giving you 10% discounts on their overly pricey yet fake items...not to mention their shops are always at either the 2nd floor or at a nearby alley of the main shopping street :3. Ah, good times.

Oh for the love of God, if it's hip-hop....oh dear hell no. The last thing any K-pop idol group needs is trying to go for the hip-hop concept, especially when K-hiphop itself is a pretty well-known and prevalent sub-sector of the music industry in Korea.

Well,I'd prefer Hip Hop over overloaded aegyo concept or another Yayaya-ish concept anytime,LOL.

Anyone else are reminded of Hyomin, Eunjeung & Jiyeon's 'Choo Choo Train' performance in Budokan 2012? That was practically the sub unit plus Ahreum.. :)

tumblr_m7tbl19OlV1r03h56o1_1280.jpg

Anyway, I'm just happy that news sites are throughly analyzing something that may or may not actually be in their comeback (she could be buying stuff for their summer Japan concert or souvenirs for her friends for all we know), its free advertising for the new unit... and it's not negative for a change.

I'm not sure if there is any correlation but ever since the news on the new unit came out, T-ara songs are surging up and down again in the GOMTV top 100 charts (counted 10 once), Roly Poly even almost got into top ten.. You may like the new sub-unit or not but it sure has created some interest for T-ara.

OMO.. this is so exciting... now i will really save money to buy all T-ara merchandise for sure.. hahaha.. I am really their fan when it comes to their albums and stuff. hehe.. T-Ara FIGHTING and Hyomin can you help me on my fashion sense? i dont like the way I dress. aigoo hehe..

Well,I'd prefer Hip Hop over overloaded aegyo concept or another Yayaya-ish concept anytime,LOL.

Granted, you got a point that it'd be better with all that whacked up aegyo and all but LOL, an idol group going the hip-hop concept is bound to get mocked just as much for being 'swag-wannabe' or something along those lines, if not more. Heck, G-Dragon is labelled as 'try-hard', 'wannabe' or even 'fake' by many, and it's not like Hyomin, Eunjung and Areum's rapping is really that spectacular either.

Quite frankly, I think a Cry Cry or Day By Day-style concept would have suited them a bit more lol.

Granted, you got a point that it'd be better with all that whacked up aegyo and all but LOL, an idol group going the hip-hop concept is bound to get mocked just as much for being 'swag-wannabe' or something along those lines, if not more. Heck, G-Dragon is labelled as 'try-hard', 'wannabe' or even 'fake' by many, and it's not like Hyomin, Eunjung and Areum's rapping is really that spectacular either.

Quite frankly, I think a Cry Cry or Day By Day-style concept would have suited them a bit more lol.

LMAO,you got that right XD

But since this is a subunit, Kim Kwang Devil probably want a concept that they rarely portrays or do.Cry Cry and Day By Day was still considered as relatively new.I don't know,just my thoughts.When they "revealed" that they gonna do hip hop concept,everybody accused them of copying 2NE1 and bla bla bla.But nah...I don't really give a damn about it.I'm already immune to it,lol.

But yeah,Cry Cry was the best concept ever,in my opinion.I love every single costumes that they wore on stages.It looks really elegant.In fact,I don't really like their Sexy Love and Bunny Style concept.

p/s: It's been a while since we last quoted each other post,lol.

LMAO,you got that right XD

But since this is a subunit, Kim Kwang Devil probably want a concept that they rarely portrays or do.Cry Cry and Day By Day was still considered as relatively new.I don't know,just my thoughts.When they "revealed" that they gonna do hip hop concept,everybody accused them of copying 2NE1 and bla bla bla.But nah...I don't really give a damn about it.I'm already immune to it,lol.

But yeah,Cry Cry was the best concept ever,in my opinion.I love every single costumes that they wore on stages.It looks really elegant.In fact,I don't really like their Sexy Love and Bunny Style concept.

p/s: It's been a while since we last quoted each other post,lol.

Holy smokes, 2NE1, hip-hop? Damn, that is just not right at all XD.

Yea, aside from a Cry Cry style of concept, TTL also comes into mind as well (after all, it was focused on just four of the members, as an ideal T-ara subunit should be). Now that was a kickass concept and song, far none. After all, it was the group's first hit song that slayed the charts at the time of its release :). Ah, good times...

If I were to be overly optimistic, the article could be trying to say this subgroup is going to the TTL-style, but may have used the wrong words for it (I certainly would not call TTL a 'hiphop concept', nor can it even be called such). But I wouldn't really put my hopes and prayers on that :/

And yea, it's been a while we quoted each other's post

Even if their clothing style is hip hop-ish, doesn't mean the song is like that too. Kind of like what they did with Choo Choo Train.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it. Whatever the concept may be, I trust that they can pull it off :P

I find this interesting, and I eagerly await to see what they'll create for this concept. ^_^ Hip hop has always been and always will be a part of the youthful, cultural adrenaline in music. It has its up and downs in its long history, but still brought many unique music works, as well as integrated inspirations from other music genres, and a very, very, very long list of memorable artists to the industry world wide, and it continues to grow to this day. Hip Hop in general is diverse in a broad sense, and having K-Pop part of it is to be expected, given the successes with 2NE1, Girls' Generation, and the Wonder Girls recently.

As much as wanting to find out the details of their comeback, we'll be guessing from all sorts of angles to no avail, and probably won't be able differentiate between the personal and the professional errands, until a teaser/preview is released, and then begin the match-making fashion game again.

I am thankful that all 3 shopping areas/stations (Omotesando, Harajuku, and Shibuya) are close to each other. All 3 of them contain high class fashions, street urban wears, casual, pop, and risqué appeals. Like all fashion stores relying on a second opinion from a third party from time to time, I think those fans in those stores are lucky to share their input with what could be considered the next potential comeback for this debuting sub-unit of T-ara. I hope it works out when they put it all together. That pair of sunglasses sort of reminded me of Lexy's, in her comeback music video not too long ago. The reminiscing items part is making me wonder what eras of Hip Hop's history are going to be part of their aspirations for their sub-unit performances.

The choreography section in the article doesn't really surprise me, because one of the many essential aspects of the Hip Hop cultural is having lots of people. They don't call it a "crew" for nothing. I hope to hear more from our T-ara soon. It sounds like things are getting even more better for T-ara nowadays. ^_^

Anyone else are reminded of Hyomin, Eunjeung & Jiyeon's 'Choo Choo Train' performance in Budokan 2012? That was practically the sub unit plus Ahreum.. :)

Oh, hip-hop in the countryside??!! (If the rumour about them going to release a song named 'Rural Life' is true). Anyway, this is just speculation, so I won't dwell much into it. But when I see Hyomin in that oversized T-shirt, it also reminds me of Choo Choo Train. And I want the sub-unit (if they do have one) to do a song similar to that again.

As for TTL, so far it is their best song and concept, Eunjung and Hyomin's rappings in it were awesome, and I will miss Soyeon's sweet voice. Areum is ok but not to Soyeon's level yet. Well, the unnies can form another sub unit to do some trot songs then. Sso can coach the other two on how to sing better. Anyone remembers this perf?

Hm,... WEEEEEEEEEEEELL I really don't know. Hip Hop was a surprise to me too, I mean don't get me wrong, i grew up on Slim Shady, Snoop, Xzibit, Dre and co, but this is Kpop, so I'm wondering how they'll pull this of, if it will be a hip hop concept

On the other hand, i think the whole Hyomin shopping thing, I don't know people are reading to much into it. She could have been buying some stuff for herself for all we know but I'll wait and see.

Now I'm not going to get into the Choo Choo train or TTL topic, but it would be nice to see T-ara come out with a fierce concept for a change, and I am hoping that that's the path they'll take.

Anyway, I hope this will turn out great and it puts T-ara back on track.