Diadem Forums

[13.08.26] T-ara's tears have become Pearls

kkyc222

T-ara's Tears Have Become Pearls

20130826_1377503637_76089900_1.jpg

Girl Group T-ara welcomed their 4th anniversary recently. Once having enjoyed top popularity, this gemstone-like girl group has suffered hurt. The arrival and departure of some members (Hwayoung and Areum) and unconfirmed conjecture was discussed fervently. Their popularity that was not easily accumulated over the years seemed to have been destroyed in an instant. They seem to match the “5 year crisis” that idol groups commonly face in the Korean music industry where idols’ contracts [last around 5 years].

To say that they are not burdened must be a lie. After the controversy that broke out in July last year, T-ara did not respond to any Korean media interviews. Because they believed that if they silently continued their own way, one day, their fans will understand them and any momentary misunderstandings will be resolved. In this case, we are not here to pick at their scars. To talk about T-ara’s past, present, and future – something that they will have to face sooner or later – we carefully conducted our interview.

T-ara’s Eunjung who found courage to meet with Billboard Korea said “We cried a lot.” But they still continue to smile brightly.

Q: If you were to think back to the past 4 years?

A: We don’t feel like it’s already been 4 years. It still feels like we are rookies who’ve just reached 2 years. Compared to the actual number of years, we’ve been busy with a lot of activities. Other than music broadcasts, member’s individual acting activities, sub-unit activities, and musicals, we’ve lived such busy lives that we couldn’t even sleep a lot, time just passed by in the blink of an eye. Thinking about being able to achieve today’s position and to receive our fan’s love… Our fans’ congratulations have made our shoulders feel heavier, and our sense of responsibility has grown as well. In the future, we will be more careful about every word we say and everything we do.

Q: The most memorable activity is?

A: Bo Peep Bo Peep. It was a song that showed off the charisma that only belonged to us. The first time we put on the tails on our costume and wore the cat paws, we really didn’t like it. We wanted to be a cool and pretty girl group, and we wondered, do we really have to do this? But it was through this song that we achieved our first number 1 and even made it to Japan’s Oricon chart. If we used this song as a starting point, all of T-ara’s other concept and music were never too over the top. It was the song that allowed other countries to know our name.

Q: From debut to now, things that have changed and things that have not changed are:

A: The way we think has changed, and we’ve become more mature. When we first debuted we did not have our own goals, we were just like kids who did whatever our company told us to do. Now, we will positively think about everything we do, and we also understand the preciousness of fate that allows us to meet even the strangers who pass by us for a second. The things that have not changed is, even though we are no longer that young, the members still love to joke and play. Everyday is a continuation of a sitcom. This is what motivates us to stand on stage happily.

Q: Thoughts about the “5 year crisis” that idol groups face

A: Our crisis seems to have come a bit early. Haha. This seems to turn out for the better, it’s as if such a crisis does exist as people say. Although the sayings about members’ conflict and bullying will follow us around like labels, we think that as long as it is not true then it is fine. We won’t worry too much about it. If such sayings were true, then it would be very distressful, but the stories are all different from reality. It is not something that we can resolve even if we worried about it.

The motivation for the T-ara who has become mature.

T-ara is truly the “Korean Digital Sales Queens.” Lovey Dovey was number 1 on Gaon Chart in the first half of 2012, defeating Big Bang. In 2011, they also achieved number 1 on Gaon's Annual Aggregate Digital Chart through Roly Poly. That year, their Japanese debut track “Bo Peep Bo Peep” also made it onto the Oricon weekly chart.

Even when involved in endless controversies, T-ara’s music and stage performance were also recognized. “Sexy Love,” which was hesitantly released when T-ara was surrounded by a lot of rumours, and the summer track “Bikini” also charted and achieved a “long run.” Their recently released second Japanese album “Treasure Box” also charted number 1 on Oricon on the day it was released.

Q: What is the secret to popularity?

A: There is no special secret. First, we have to thank the composers who give us good songs. And also the fans and company staff who support us by telling us “everything will be better,” they’ve given us a lot of motivation. As a result, we gained confidence. We work hard on stage to compensate for our inadequacy, these all seem to have a combined effect. When speaking about T-ara’s energy, we have also borrowed from the popularity of the retro dance and the shuffle dance. Unknowingly, our performances are able to show off “T-ara’s image” and “T-ara’s concept.” To have a defined colour and flavour, we are really happy.

Q: Don’t you feel tired to have such active overseas schedules?

A: Although getting used to the time difference is always difficult, it is the most difficult when the food doesn’t suit our tastes. In the end sleep become our best medicine. Actually, every member seemed to have lost weight without intentionally dieting. Like a normal girl group, we eat well and don’t pick and choose when it comes to food.

Q: What do you do when you rest?

A: Watch movies, eat good food. When we are in Japan, we often go to Harajuku but we have not been there recently because we’ve been busy.

Q: Isn’t this just the right age for dating?

A: Although the work we have now is good, we still want to date. Just like a normal university student, a romantic stroll around campus while holding hands, a date in the library. It seems like the more we are not able to do it, the more we want to do it. My ideal type is someone who has a manly side, but who also has the soft side of someone young, someone who is kind and well-mannered. Appearance is not important. It’ll be great if it is someone who is able to let other people feel his charisma and charm that is unique to him.

Q: What kind of artists do you want to be remembered as?

A: The strengths of artists who have been active for 1 year and those who have been active for 10 years are different. I hope when people think about T-ara, they will smile and say “Ah they really had a difficult time then” or “They were really great then”, I hope that we can be a familiar and warm group in their memories. A group that is able to show off different styles like a chameleon. Or even to the point of getting critiqued by people “Do you have a split personality?” A group that doesn’t stop changing and is able to show and convey a message through their music.

Q: To T-ara, CCM’s present Kim Kwang Soo is:

A: The only person who can make us happy and feel tired at the same time. He has weakened a lot. He used to always lecture and scold us, but recently he asks us for our opinion and shares with us his difficulties. He has the feel of the powerless arms of a father who is growing old. His emotions are also becoming very rich and abundant, it seems like it is time for us to take care of him instead.

Q: A word to your fans?

A: Thankful. For always believing and watching over us no matter what. To be able to lay aside right or wrong and to believe and wait for someone is really something that is not easy. We don’t look at our fan club as one group, but now we see each fan individually, one person by one person. They are all precious. Even for those who cannot support us as fans until the end, we won’t feel sad or resentful. We won’t forget those people who have given us love up to this day.

T-ara has become stronger, their hearts steadier. They are no longer a girl group that has an extravagant exterior, but have become a pearl that shines quietly and faintly. The beginning of a glistening pearl is also created from a wound. Famous Korean poet Jeong Ho Seung said “A beautiful gemstone can only be created with time, brimming sincerity, and the embracing of trauma.” It is time for the future of T-ara, who will soon enter the US market, to catch the eyes of the public once again.

Translated by via Chinese Subs by TCN: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/2556657897

I just want to say that as a true and loyal Queen, I am glad that T-ara has made it this far and remained powerfully strong to make it this far, especially after that very bad scandal last year surrounding their former fellow member, Hwayoung. And I know that T-ara will stick around for many more years to come and get through fun times and very tough times together. Plus, I know that they will also become one of many girl groups out there that can break through the five year curse and continue taking the world by storm until they're old enough to retire. And i'm looking forward to more amazing things lined up for the girls, including T-ara N4's official American debut this December and i'm so sure that everyone in the United States will give T-ara N4 all the love and support they absolutely deserve. I sure will continue to be a true Queen and support T-ara in everything that they do. And I know for sure that no one and nothing will ever bring the girls down at all. Those haters can talk trash all they want but what they're saying will do nothing else but to bring the girls all the way up to the top in just a drop of a pin. T-ara will absolutely stick around forever and all those haters out there are just going to deal with it whether they like it or not. It's that easy to do and it's not going to be extra hard to do at all.

T-ARA FIGHTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

me, tearing up :(

after all this time, these past 4 years, these 6 girls always make me so proud, even once I've ever thought to left them because of that bullying issue. but I think again of that, why I keep them on my heart and mind for so long if I can't against and believe them?

nobody's perfect.

T-Ara also. they're only human like us, who can sometimes made a mistake, put a wrong choice, love something wrong, or take a risk for a chance to get their better future life :)

I keep do praying, wish the best and greatest for them. because, only them who can brought me to the sad and joy things.

T-Ara, keep fighting!

P.S: very nice interview Eunjung-onni <3:P

this article brings out the sadness and the happiness...

It's hurtful every time mentioning the things that you want to forget, and as much as you try to erase it, it engraves in history!

But just as the reason I first started to like T-ARA, T-ARA is a group of girls that are much

stronger then they look, and there's so much more inside of them that you don't know about if

you don't spend the time and will to find out and understand about them.

Even though they are on the other half of the earth, I will with all my might support them wherever I am!!

Once a Queen's, forever a Queen's !

Really love how Eunjeung carried herself in the interview.. T-ara's leadership may keep on rotating but (with a special nod to Soyeon's speaking skills and being a great leader during 'troubled times') I always consider Eunjeung as the true soul and driving spirit of T-ara. She is always the reliable one; confident, articulate and yet so humble; tough as a rock despite injuries and yet so cute, friendly & charming...

This is just my personal opinion but if I have to quickly explain about the members to someone who doesn't know about T-ara it will be (in no particular order):

• Hyomin: the creative, crazy, and sexy one (actually my favorite)
  • Qri: the shiny-sparkly one
  • Soyeon: the sassy silky-voiced witty one
  • Jiyeon: the drop dead gorgeous one
  • Boram: cutey-shorty, the oldest but youngest one
  • Eunjung? ...the number one

Can't help but cry after reading this interview. I love Eunjung's answers. She was always mature when she needs to be and she is continuing to grow.

She is really brave. It makes me sad to remember the sad time. I can't imagine how she feels when she was asked and open the wounds,especially as she was the one mostly affected. Like she said, that scandal will most likely follow them everyday wherever they go like a label. But as long as they know that it wasn't true, they can held their heads high and continue and stay strong. They will face every trial, obstacle or typhoon. As long as there is one who believes in them, they will keep going.

I believe this character is what Korean society needs. Lately, netizens and media have too much power that they can push someone to suicide. As T-ara makes it through all what happened, it will be an example and testament that even if majority hate and criticize, one can survive and make it through for as long as one remain strong and resilient. Like T-ara.

Of course, it is because of those who support them, no matter how few. T ara and queen's, fighting.

the storm is passing everyday and the sun is shinning brighter and brighter...

the coal that started 4years ago is becoming a more and more expensive diamond...

JIYEONHYOMINEUNJUNGSOYEONQRIBORAM for many more years to come, we will forever be cheering u on through bad or good times...

T-ARA fighting !!

KKS, we dont know what kind of a man he is but we would all still need to thank him for giving us our 6 angels <3:D

Guest minniebabyjiyeon

With their strong heart, our girls will go through this and prove they are real and true pearl.

It's bitter sweet answers that make my cry. I hope and pray for them to find happiness and not to suffer any more.

hi guys! it's my first time commenting here in the forum although i've always look and browse around. i just wanted to share my thoughts and feelings just this one time 'coz it's been eating at me.

i'm so happy that they're taking their baby steps to rise again in the industry. i've been patiently waiting until their time comes again to conquer the music industry as one of the best korean girl group out there. i just wished that their company took a different route (to talk, that is) in dealing with the bullying issue rather than being quiet which lead to the whole thing blowing off like a time bomb. and made the people (i think the netizens, mostly) to believe and implicate the wrong things about our girls. (in my opinion, the people were so harsh and vindictive to our girls. it's like they've been proven guilty without a proper court proceedings. i think it's the most difficult thing about the korean society, they easily get mad and vindictive whenever their wants are not met so that their stars are living a robotic life. this is just my opinion don't get me wrong and don't get mad at me.) i know even if the girls wanted to speak up, they can't because they can't go against their agency. i hope that their agency learned from this and don't do the same mistake again. And i also hope that their agency would consider their well being and reputation especially now that they are entering the US market (hope they will plan it really carefully and not just put our girls anywhere just to get a job or a casting. don't want a repeat of what happened with the chris brown incident. i really felt worse watching the vids so i ranted i think on soompi's fb that time). i hope that people will be more forgiving at our girls and give them another chance to show and share their talents. hope to see and hear more of our girls in the coming days.

phewwww.... i think i wrote a novel here. sorry guys! just want to take it out of my system.

t-ara, hwaiting!!!,

t-ara jjang!!!

t-ara daebak!!!

i'll just be here at the sidelines silently cheering, supporting, and wishing for your success girls.

Supporting T-ara was never obligatory yet we all stayed by their sides..

Confessing to fans was never a must to them yet they always made sure to let we, fans know how grateful they are for our supports..

A person becomes mature once they are able to laugh off about their past and Jungiee, you are on a whole different level.. To admit one's mistake and still being able to forgive those ppl who made criticism groundlessly and respecting their opinions is a feat on and of itself, which, I genuinely think is praise worthy.. You are Growing more within me day by day...

"Although the sayings about members’ conflict and bullying will follow us around like labels, we think that as long as it is not true then it is fine. We won’t worry too much about it." -Leaving aside the fact that you have grown up into a fine beauty, I am so proud that you have become really matured and rational. Its people thing to say. They will judge you regardless of the outcome and the way you would approach them so its better to do your own thing and be what you wanna be. Wise words Jungiee, would engrave this in my heart.

T-ara will Forever be the best(personal opinion)!!

Very well-translated article. Thanks very much for the quality translation.

Eunjungie's answer about what's been changed and unchanged really echoed with me:

• What's changed is that they have started participating more and more with their work, be it music, dress codes, color coordination, make-up points, hair styles, etc... They're offering their unique style more and more.
  • What's unchanged is that they're still as dorky as ever. These girls cannot act serious for a single minute. They will just dork out the moment they catch a breeze. It is like a never-ending sitcom.

To attract fans is real easy, have a catchy song and some well-coordinated choreography. These are the two major factors on how they KEEP their fans. Keeping fans is much harder work than attracting fans. They're always giving us new and fresh concepts on their music, at the same time putting smiles on our faces by dorking out with each other.

Keep working hard girls, and keep the dorkiness at the same time. My allegiance shall not sway.

i can't give long comment..

they have passed all sadness and pain.. :unsure:

and now it's time for t-ara to gain more loves, more support, more popularity, and more offering show or drama.. ^_^ ^_^

they deserve to get it all.. :lol: :lol:

i just want to say that i 'm glad can join in this fandom and absolutely proud to be Queen's.. :D :D :D

I read this article, I don't know but I really want to cry, It's just me? it's strange? uwah I really so proud that I don't leave T-ara that day because I still believe to T-ara and still wait until someone saw that all the rumored wasn't true and I believe T-ara will move on with us 'Queen's' and someone see it and write this great article about T-ara

i can't help but to tear-up while reading this... ;A;

our girls have gone through a lot but look at how they face those with a definite smile.. even though deep inside, they wanted to cry out loud, they still mask their faces so that we, the fans they treasured the most, would not worry for them.

i really really respect them (T-ara)... Tbh, they were role models for me... withstanding those kind of problems were not a joke (specially on their profession).. sometimes, I get inspiration from them when i experience some difficulties and believe me, they never fail to make me smile and feel better. later on. :)

“A beautiful gemstone can only be created with time, brimming sincerity, and the embracing of trauma.”

-- this made a big impact for me and I am agreeing with this... :)

The things that have not changed is, even though we are no longer that young, the members still love to joke and play. Everyday is a continuation of a sitcom. This is what motivates us to stand on stage happily.

-- after reading this.. I can't help but to display a motherly smile for them, remembering those variety shows they have appeared on and fearlessly showing their dorky, weird, playful sides... This characteristics of them is one of the reason why I fall in love with T-ara... ♥♥♥

I'm very proud to be called Queens :) proud of them being my Idols... I am and will always be their fan no matter what... 5years, 10years, 20years, etc.. from now on :D

The sun is rising for T-ara again.. I'm wishing them all the best~ :) Stay Strong til the end...

T-ara fighting~!! ♥

==whoaa~ reading this kind of mature words were very refreshing~ Good job for the one who answers the question (idk if it is only Eunjung or what)..

great interview. Eunjung answered well and shown how she matured through the times. she's also the brave girl we know that eventhough she was one of the most affected member during the scandal, she managed to gather herself and move on. T-ara has suffered last year and i know that they'll be able to surpass these challenges. T-ARA FIGHTING!!!!