Diadem Forums

[OFFICIAL] Boram and Hyomin in the recording studio (01/09)

Dognybba

Guest Phailinator

Am I the only one who thinks that they're working too hard? I mean, they've been holding concerts, showcases, promoted their songs for a month each, went to several charity events, held their own charity bazaar, went on a fan-signing spree. All in about 6 months only. I kind of want them to get a break :/

Nevertheless I'm happy to see them smiling and creating new content! 티아라 화이팅!

Am I the only one who thinks that they're working too hard? I mean, they've been holding concerts, showcases, promoted their songs for a month each, went to several charity events, held their own charity bazaar, went on a fan-signing spree. All in about 6 months only. I kind of want them to get a break :/

Nevertheless I'm happy to see them smiling and creating new content! 티아라 화이팅!

Well I don't know how the showbiz work there, but from what I can tell they don't have to go to variety shows and/or interviews. so that should free up some time for relaxing.

I think the traveling to various sets for shows that usually takes up their time

Well I don't know how the showbiz work there, but from what I can tell they don't have to go to variety shows and/or interviews. so that should free up some time for relaxing.

I think the traveling to various sets for shows that usually takes up their time

They themselves have made quite a few mentions that they're being overworked. In fact, overworking to the bone is almost a norm in the Korean showbizz and it doesn't take much research to find that, especially since labor laws in Korea's showbiz aren't very well-enforced + contracts that essentially make the companies own every aspect of yourself. And with holding concerts, showcases and a LOT of song promotions plus attending events....that pretty much says they're not working 9-5 like a lot of us do, that's for sure.

If they're not doing variety shows or interviews, chances are it's replaced with practice sessions, gym or whatever else that doesn't get shown in their schedule for public viewing (IIRC, there was a mention that for members who had completed schedules for the day, CCM would simply make them do something else to make up for it).

They themselves have made quite a few mentions that they're being overworked. In fact, overworking to the bone is almost a norm in the Korean showbizz and it doesn't take much research to find that, especially since labor laws in Korea's showbiz aren't very well-enforced + contracts that essentially make the companies own every aspect of yourself. And with holding concerts, showcases and a LOT of song promotions plus attending events....that pretty much says they're not working 9-5 like a lot of us do, that's for sure.

If they're not doing variety shows or interviews, chances are it's replaced with practice sessions, gym or whatever else that doesn't get shown in their schedule for public viewing (IIRC, there was a mention that for members who had completed schedules for the day, CCM would simply make them do something else to make up for it).

K-pop idols crazy working hours are a well established fact that every fans should already know, and it's not only happening to T-ara (Well, BAP for example). I agree, it is pretty much a norm. Of course now that they aren't in a promotional cycle, we can expect the workload to lessen...at least a bit.

On the other note, they do had free time. Like during the girls movie night out, which they even went shopping afterward (I think since Qri posted a pic of her new bag on IG), The reunion with Jiwon after attending Jinx movie premiere, also let's not forget about Qri recently taking the time off to celebrate her friend's birthday. CMIIW, but it looks like the girls get quite a decent amount of free time.

Of course now that they aren't in a promotional cycle, we can expect the workload to lessen...at least a bit.

On the other note, they do had free time. Like during the girls movie night out, which they even went shopping afterward (I think since Qri posted a pic of her new bag on IG), The reunion with Jiwon after attending Jinx movie premiere, also let's not forget about Qri recently taking the time off to celebrate her friend's birthday. CMIIW, but it looks like the girls get quite a decent amount of free time.

The question though would be how often the free time is given to them compared to the amount of work they have, as well as how long each free time is. If it's just a couple of hours each time (which, is the most likely and at most, probably a day or so)...that really isn't much to be relieved about, since you'd also have to take into account how much hours a day is also dedicated to sleeping (IIRC, during promotions, they stated the average hours of sleep they get is as little as 2-3 hours).

After all, if they do get decent amount of time as you say, at least a couple of average folks would have spotted them and posted it up online (especially in a country like Korea, particularly in districts like Gangnam or Yeoido island).

Compared to some other groups out there, they're definitely working too much even for idol standards - that I think anyone can really be in mutual agreement in. Probably not as severe as the pre-scandal days partly due to also solo activities, but still pretty overly hazardous.

The question though would be how often the free time is given to them compared to the amount of work they have, as well as how long each free time is. If it's just a couple of hours each time (which, is the most likely and at most, probably a day or so)...that really isn't much to be relieved about, since you'd also have to take into account how much hours a day is also dedicated to sleeping (IIRC, during promotions, they stated the average hours of sleep they get is as little as 2-3 hours).

After all, if they do get decent amount of time as you say, at least a couple of average folks would have spotted them and posted it up online (especially in a country like Korea, particularly in districts like Gangnam or Yeoido island).

I'm not big into speculating, but from what I saw, the girls (or, at least some members since not all of them publicly share their private lives) seemed like they had the whole night for themselves, at least on the three particular moments I mentioned earlier. Maybe they didn't have it as easy as other groups, but IMO they were getting a more frequent time off (Qri's friend birthday was two days ago) compared to pre-scandal days.

IDK if ppl do spotted them, maybe they did and they posted it on naver, or other korean social networking sites. We can't really expect english-based sites to pick up on that, since most of those sites tend to cater to the largest fanbase.

Lastly, I'm not saying they aren't overworked because they are. The Japanese recording does seem very rushed. Let's just say if any of the girls fell ill, I m gonna buy a voodoo doll through a shady website, and a certain someone's photo will be put on it. ^__^

It's just funny that a lot of naysayers were spreading gloom & doom on how T-ara was finished in Japan after they left J-rock's piss poor management

...and tadaa T-ara's having another comeback there! :D:P

Sure this means that they have less time to rest but every one knows how our girls love to work hard & make their fans happy.

Anyway If you think idols lives are hard.. you should read about what an average Korean worker has to face. South Koreans work the longest hours per year, on average, out of every other developed country, and that is including Japan where Karoshi (death by overwork) is an occupational hazard. I heard a lot Korean civil servants & company employees only get three days vacation/year, work from early morning to late at night & some companies even have dorms in their offices so their workers don't have to go home at all. I guess working hard is just ingrained in their culture & with normal citizens stressed out due to overwork no wonder Koreans don't give much leeway like most countries do to their celebrities.

I'm not saying its right for CCM to overwork T-ara like they used to pre-2013. But honestly, T-ara are professionals in their twenties who love their work & by now they are already top earning seniors (only below Davichi) with perks in their agency.. that means they don't live in dorms anymore (they all live with their parents now), have an easier & more rewarding life than most idols and can enjoy the fruits of their labor a bit. In fact after 2013, what we usually hear is how they are eager to get more work and Eunjeung & the others were excited for any job they can take. (You know the whole ~were back to rookies who need to struggle for our dreams~ mentality that they adopted with Number 9 & the Again mini album).

Let's be realistic, T-ara is not the hot item they were in 2012 & if they don't want to get overlapped by their juniors they need to step up their game (like what Boram is doing). However, if you watched the whole Christmas Charity Event & their other videos, I believe that T-ara is actually the less burned out & jaded Girl Band out of the 2008-2009 generation. Just compare how tired Kara or how changed Secret or how desperate Rainbow or how unequal 4minute looks (sorry to their fans). Our girls look like their still having fun in this industry and have fresh twinkle in their eyes despite everything they have gone through.

PS: I actually don't mind that people are not posting online about our girl's free time. (Though Hyomin gets caught shopping once and while & let's not get started with Soyeon's date with her boyfriend).. If they are careful, its actually not that hard to go unnoticed. In a recent Human Condition episode even 2PM's Taecyon gets unnoticed walking in a busy area despite not wearing a mask.. besides Jiyeon is a home girl, she doesn't like to go out :P

I'm not big into speculating, but from what I saw, the girls (or, at least some members since not all of them publicly share their private lives) seemed like they had the whole night for themselves, at least on the three particular moments I mentioned earlier. Maybe they didn't have it as easy as other groups, but IMO they were getting a more frequent time off (Qri's friend birthday was two days ago) compared to pre-scandal days.

IDK if ppl do spotted them, maybe they did and they posted it on naver, or other korean social networking sites. We can't really expect english-based sites to pick up on that, since most of those sites tend to cater to the largest fanbase.

Lastly, I'm not saying they aren't overworked because they are. The Japanese recording does seem very rushed. Let's just say if any of the girls fell ill, I m gonna buy a voodoo doll through a shady website, and a certain someone's photo will be put on it. ^__^

I'm not in any disagreement with you (just to be clear) hahaha. I just have a tendency to discuss things very lengthily wherever I go....too often, I have a bad habit of not knowing when to stop (call me a verbal express train XD)

It's actually probable the amount of free-time they get is likely increased compared to pre-late July 2012, though the difference itself likely isn't all that significant (this was kinda my point) After all, with solo activities cut down dramatically compared to since then, what you say does make sense.

Note - I keep track of K-social SNS every now and then (being Korean here and all, so Naver's a common site I visit), and can safely say you'd have to be lucky to find anything of such, yet alone one that's a legit account (fancafes are an exception, though I'm not a member of those).

Anyway If you think idols lives are hard.. you should read about what an average Korean worker has to face. South Koreans work the longest hours per year, on average, out of every other developed country, and that is including Japan where Karoshi (death by overwork) is an occupational hazard. I heard a lot Korean civil servants & company employees only get three days vacation/year, work from early morning to late at night & some companies even have dorms in their offices so their workers don't have to go home at all. I guess working hard is just ingrained in their culture & with normal citizens stressed out due to overwork no wonder Koreans don't give much leeway like most countries do to their celebrities etc.

I had quite a few relatives that worked for the ROK government as early as the 1960s, and generally speaking, the work hours depend on which ministry you work for and the specific position you're working in. For example, if you're port customs officer, veteran cop or a senior analyst for an institution contracted by govt, you'd be working far more compared to a receptionist, administrations or a clerk who generally work 8-hour shifts, with the occasional overtime. Heck, military personnel (including riot police conscripts) get 3-4 weeks of leave every year, not counting the public holidays.

And for certain, your average Korean worker does not have it harder than an idol has as far as work amounts go.

Granted, work hours in Korea are pretty long for OECD standards, though in recent times, there's been a huge push to lower working hours (both in public and private sector) + there's been an increase of public holidays (16 in total as of 2013).

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/yonhap-news-agency/130910/s-korea-pushes-lower-maximum-weekly-working-hours-52

http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/south-koreans-battle-for-civilised-working-hours-330167

Bluntly put, it simply depends on what your job is and who you work for (and in the case of the showbiz, one can only imagine how hard the accompanying staff have it, considering they work pretty much the same hours as the idols do but at a much, much smaller paycheck).

But at least your average worker doesn't have their privacy invaded in severely gross means, and in the end are not bound by slave-like contracts - whereas in the case of idols, it's not uncommon to not even being allowed cell phones and having to work for mobsters or simply people deeply connected with them as a significant portion of Korea's entertainment business is associated (if not even controlled by) with organized crime since as early as the 1960s, not to mention severe diets that are borderline to starvation, prostitution rings and the list goes on. Heck, it's not even abnormal for idols not being able to see their families for months if not even longer.

I mean no offense (and an opinion is an opinion after all), but it's a really overly optimistic view on T-ara's overall career - especially if you take what they show in front of the camera at heart. Masking your own emotions/expressions is an almost universal thing in idol groups, and T-ara's done this many, many times too.

Just compare how tired Kara or how changed Secret or how desperate Rainbow or how unequal 4minute looks

KARA, I can get, but things pretty much calmed down for them after the lawsuit (but they don't fit in the 08/09 bracket as they debuted in 07).

None of those groups have gone through a bruta if not even sickly management that lasted as long as T-ara's at any given point. Unlike those groups, T-ara was also lucky that they scored big from the get-go and came from a big company that could push them through the influx of increasing idol groups, whereas TS Entertainment and CUBE only barely started to hit the idol scene while in DSP's case, Rainbow itself was overshadowed by KARA and SS501.

While you guys are wondering about whether they get free time to rest or not... I'm here wondering, I thought their Jap contract is expiring soon? Either their contract is in consideration for a renewal, or the agency just want to squeeze the leftover sugars in T-ara from their remaining Jap contract life.

The second scenario ain't sound too nice.

While you guys are wondering about whether they get free time to rest or not... I'm here wondering, I thought their Jap contract is expiring soon? Either their contract is in consideration for a renewal, or the agency just want to squeeze the leftover sugars in T-ara from their remaining Jap contract life.

You mean contract with J-Rock? i thought they didn't renew and CCM opened a Japanese branch?

You mean contract with J-Rock? i thought they didn't renew and CCM opened a Japanese branch?

The contract expires on April, technically they're still under J-rock by now. I don't mean gloom & doom, but what @aoikage says can be a likely scenario.

J-rock did signed an exclusive contract for the hefty amount of $350 million yen, and they didn't ask for a single penny to be returned (Not that I'm aware of). That be said, who can blame them for getting what their investment worth? In a more positive light, the girls were giving back to the Japanese fans whom showed lots of support these past years, especially during harsh times. Also considering their popularity in Japan, (even though there's been a declining album sales, economy related) IMO this could be a win-win situation for both party.

well regardless whatever the reasons and circumstances are, I always try to look on the bright side :)

it maybe true J-Rock is trying as much as possible to get their money's worth, they at least didn't terminate the contract at the moment the scandal reared it's head. so there's s silver lining there.

You know, something just come up into my head. Did the Japanese version of 'Number 9' album is released yet? Physical i meant. Maybe the new comeback would be put into that album

Well Scatter to be honest, It makes sense to go on overdrive after finally returning to the Kscene after almost a year long hiatus. Think about it, you told me how cutthroat and mercules the Kentertainment scene is after all it's kind of mandatory that they go on a rampage as far as work is concerned.(though i was a bit speechless myself that they just released 3 singles and a mini album in such a short timespan).

yeah I agree Idols work to hard, sometimes inhumanely so but as long as it's worth it for them in the long run I can sort of accept it. Let's just hoope that they make it big in the Japanese market aswell, considering Banisutas succes.

But at least your average worker doesn't have their privacy invaded in severely gross means, and in the end are not bound by slave-like contracts - whereas in the case of idols, it's not uncommon to not even being allowed cell phones and having to work for mobsters or simply people deeply connected with them as a significant portion of Korea's entertainment business is associated (if not even controlled by) with organized crime since as early as the 1960s, not to mention severe diets that are borderline to starvation, prostitution rings and the list goes on. Heck, it's not even abnormal for idols not being able to see their families for months if not even longer.

I've heard a few things like this before but you make it seem worse than I thought. Any place where I can read more about this sort of thing? Because this seems very interesting and it makes me wonder what T-ara might have had to go through under KKS, especially since the guy's shadey as hell.

Just a reminder here. This is not a discussion thread. You guys can write long replies and discuss as much as you want but please do it in the correct section and don't stray out of topic.

Anyway, they're most probably recording "Do You Know Me" Japanese version but I really hope for a new Japanese single. Target was my jam for quite a while.

they said that when they were promoting the songs, they went to 4 to 5 events which took up the entire day. They've had a japanese tour and before that they promoted their album for a while, several concerts before and during promotions (Mongolia, HK, 3 venues in China, so on), japanese single were released, a comeback, fan meeting, showcases, an endorsement deal with a clothing store and others. All that in 6 months and there is no signs of them stopping any time soon.