Diadem Forums

[14.03.10] T-ara Jiyeon-Hyomin to reveal distinct personalities in solo activities in April

nathaniel

precisely. Members going solo is not a new thing. Groups have done it before them and remained together. For all we know the girls might be seeing how it feels to promote alone so that they are prepared if and when T-ara disbands

anyone can be a solo artist tbh. Hyomin has shown she can sing with the Immortal Singer appearances with Eunjung. I really liked Jiyeon's solo single in Banisuta. You don't have to have really good vocals to release a song. Otherwise Hyuna would be just a rapper in 4Minute and Sunmi would be in school right now. It's the song's quality that matters so I'm putting my faith on producers who have put out good songs before.

I'd have to strongly disagree.

Hyuna is a terrible example, since talent-wise she's very mediocre at best and outright bad at worst (especially with rapping and 'singing', if at all of the latter). This is something that is very much well-accepted among many, aside from maybe her fans. Just because they've had a couple of solo shots in the past does not mean they can be an actual solo, yet alone one whose talent is pretty much acknowledged or have potential in the future (especially in Jiyeon's case - considering none of the OSTs she's done have ever been sung live, and she was less-than-mediocre when performing with Soyeon's one for the movie Death Bell 2).

There's a very distinct line between a solo who has the serious talent and capability of becoming one acknowledged of his/her skill and one that hugely relies on fandom and company power to achieve acknowledged solo status but having considerably less skill. Actual solos, at least in Korea, would be folks like Gummy, Cho Youngpil, Lee Seungchul etc.

I can sort of dig Hyomin having her own album. Excluding Soyeon she's tied with Eunjung as T-ara's best, as far as I'm concerned anyway, and she's also a decent rapper, so she's worth something at least(better choice than Jiyeon anyway). Though I kind of hate Brave Brothers so my enthusiasm isn't really through the roof.

Fully agreed with you there except this bit :3

As a casual K-hiphop fan/listener, Hyomin cannot be considered a rapper ><

I can't help but smile when you mentioned Hyuna going solo ^_^ It's true what you said however I was thinking it would be more tiring since going solo means having to do everything alone.

I remembered Song Ji Eun mentioning about how tiring it is going solo comparing to being in Secret

T-ara members are tough. Have you seen their schedule before and after the scandal. Jiyeon and Hyomin have both tackled solo promotions (filiming dramas, movies and other projects) and T-ara at the same time. As insane as it sounds, I think they've gotten used to the work load. The only problem I have is that their weakness will be more glaring. I just hope it doesn't affect their confidence and that they try to strengthen themselves.

I'd have to strongly disagree.

Hyuna is a terrible example, since talent-wise she's very mediocre at best and outright bad at worst (especially with rapping and 'singing', if at all of the latter). This is something that is very much well-accepted among many, aside from maybe her fans. Just because they've had a couple of solo shots in the past does not mean they can be an actual solo, yet alone one whose talent is pretty much acknowledged or have potential in the future (especially in Jiyeon's case - considering none of the OSTs she's done have ever been sung live, and she was less-than-mediocre when performing with Soyeon's one for the movie Death Bell 2).

There's a very distinct line between a solo who has the serious talent and capability of becoming one acknowledged of his/her skill and one that hugely relies on fandom and company power to achieve acknowledged solo status but having considerably less skill. Actual solos, at least in Korea, would be folks like Gummy, Cho Youngpil, Lee Seungchul etc.

the ability to debut and be successful depends on how good your song is. Look at some of K-pop's best selling songs, some of them are done by idol groups that are not known for being vocalists (or having them even). Look at Gee, for example, it got popular not because of Taeyeon and her good singing abilities but because it was a fun, catchy song. People will like what they like. Don't talk about singing live like it matters all that much. T-ara isn't known for that so people won't have expectations. Besides, since the series of concerts last year, I think they've both gotten more stable.

See: BoA (Not an exceptional singer like you two suggest needed to become a solo act), Hyuna, Lee Hyori (this is even more relevant as Lee Hyori was in Fin.K.L and she wasn't even the standout of them), Jay Park, J.Y.P, Simon D, literally everyone.

You should NOT be judging idols on how well they sing, they're idols after all. Soyeon is in no way T-ara's best performer, she has her moments, like when she's given vocal lines and allowed to demonstrate her capability, but she is not the best performer. "a poor performer(in a group not known for being particulary good at either)." that line was so confusing, but I'm going to take it at face value.

Y'all should check out the Nine Muses idol documentary, btw. It gives you insight into this industry, and makes you see what idols actually go through, and have to live through. Kind of sad, esp thinking about how CCM treats them.

(I was upset when watching Hello Baby and seeing how small their vocal practice room was T_T)

There is a very strong difference to a solo that rises up thanks to their label's influence and power, and one that goes up based on their skill/talent (and being less reliant on it). It's impossible to see people like Jay Park or Hyuna becoming long-time solos like some I have mentioned above, nor do they show any capability of improving - after all, it can be seen with Lee Hyori, who's essentially nowhere near as active as she used to be in the past and will become more inactive as time flies.

BoA is also well headed to that route.

Not to mention those 4 were paired with SuperNova, the literal reason they got famous.

Supernova wasn't exactly well-known in Korea, considering they were overshadowed by groups like DBSK, Super Junior, Big Bang before T-ara was formed. T-ara's fame blew up there simply because the song was well-received in general. Not because of Supernova. There's a reason why the group promotes far more in Japan than Korea and has been doing so for years.

T-ara not known for being preformers? You lost me, T-ara is literally all performances, for the EXACT reason you mentioned: not one of them has standout vocals. The reason they made it this far hasn't been on any members efforts alone. The reason T-ara got popular was was SoJiEunMin,

Which also means it hurts the chances of those that want to be long-term solos in the music scene - which, would be Soyeon's case. Even for an idol group, their live performances are very well-known to be quite lackluster, nor does it help that a gunk of their promoted songs (IGCBOY, LTFT, Roly Poly, BPBP, Sexy Love, Lovey Dovey and so on) are very autotuned and make them sound like chipmunks.

See: BoA (Not an exceptional singer like you two suggest needed to become a solo act), Hyuna, Lee Hyori (this is even more relevant as Lee Hyori was in Fin.K.L and she wasn't even the standout of them), Jay Park, J.Y.P, Simon D, literally everyone.

You should NOT be judging idols on how well they sing, they're idols after all. Soyeon is in no way T-ara's best performer, she has her moments, like when she's given vocal lines and allowed to demonstrate her capability, but she is not the best performer. "a poor performer(in a group not known for being particulary good at either)." that line was so confusing, but I'm going to take it at face value. T-ara not known for being preformers? You lost me, T-ara is literally all performances, for the EXACT reason you mentioned: not one of them has standout vocals. The reason they made it this far hasn't been on any members efforts alone. The reason T-ara got popular was was SoJiEunMin, Soyeon with her comedy and witty attitude on Oh! My school. Jiyeon for being the face of the group and being compared to Kim Tae Hee, Eunjung for showcasing her abilities in Dream High, and Hyomin for showing her personality and worth on Invincible Youth. Not to mention those 4 were paired with SuperNova, the literal reason they got famous. Eunjung and Hyomin aren't competing against eachother, Eunjung probably DOES want to go solo as a singer, and they all want to remain T-ara as well, however her agency (CCM) does not see it fit for her because their prospects of getting money out of the whole event is low. Eunjung as a singer being better than Hyomin is questionable as well, she's not the type of person to carry a song and control her voice, she's more the belter of the group. Look at any performance with the two of them, Hyomin usually does most of the singing when they are together. Eunjung defeats Hyomin in areas of old style singing and Trot, no doubt about that. As long as they don't Autotune Hyomin to hell, I'm fine with Brave Brothers, pls no sistar rehash song though.

Y'all should check out the Nine Muses idol documentary, btw. It gives you insight into this industry, and makes you see what idols actually go through, and have to live through. Kind of sad, esp thinking about how CCM treats them.

(I was upset when watching Hello Baby and seeing how small their vocal practice room was T_T)

Scatter already kind of answered for me, for the most part. I'd just like to add that those you mentioned not only have their labels' power behind them but they can pull off decent performances(those that I know anyway), something that T-ara members have never excelled at and have even been criticised for lacking(Jiyeon being one of the weakest is why I don't like this). Not to mention that some of the more longstanding examples you gave, like BoA and Lee Hyori, actually do have a decent amount of talent, which is not something you can say about, well, any of the T-ara members, which is again, something that got them criticism in the past. So, yeah, this is pretty much what I meant, didn't mean to be confusing.

I know she's lackluster as far as real rapping goes, but as far as idols go she's not really bad and her miniscule skill is still better than nothing. Combined with her mediocre singing it doesn't really hurt her chances in any case.

Though I keep getting the feeling that I should listen to some k-rapping <_^

Just announced:

http://news.nate.com/view/20140311n06929

Hyomin will be performing a cover of Lee Hyori's 10 Minutes, Jiyeon will be performing a cover of Park Ji Yoon's "Coming of Age Ceremony".

Gah. Too good at getting information.

Haven't heard those songs yet so i'll just wait for Hyomin and Jiyeon to sing it. (So I can judge and be biased).

Just announced:

Hyomin will be performing a cover of Lee Hyori's 10 Minutes, Jiyeon will be performing a cover of Park Ji Yoon's "Coming of Age Ceremony".

Is it a modern adaptation of said song, just like "Do You Know Me" or is it a song that is similar in nature? We need translation for this.

Just announced:

Is it a modern adaptation of said song, just like "Do You Know Me" or is it a song that is similar in nature? We need translation for this.

Not a cover actually but following the style of these respective songs but in a modern 2014 manner, as the article says~

The two songs for anyone's that's interested.

Hyomin's:

Jiyeon's:

Not a cover actually but following the style of these respective songs but in a modern 2014 manner, as the article says~

The two songs for anyone's that's interested.

Hyomin's:

Jiyeon's:

Cover was probably not the right word. Remake would have been more accurate.

Both these songs really fit well for Hyomin and Jiyeon's styles.