Diadem Forums

[14.05.14] Info - Gossip Girls debuts at #3 on Oricon Daily album sales chart!

nathaniel

[14.05.14] Info - Gossip Girls debuts at #3 on Oricon Daily album sales chart!

454859357398573593.png

T-ara’s third Japanese album has debuted at #3 on the Oricon daily album sales chart behind Jun.K’s LOVE & HATE and the Frozen soundtrack respectively! Gossip Girls debuted on Oricon (Japanese equivalent of America’s Billboard and Korea’s Gaon) with 6,554 copies sold in the first day.

Compared to T-ara’s previous Japanese albums, Jewelry Box sold 23,796 copies in the first day while Treasure Box managed to sell 10,056 copies in the first day. Although it is a decline, selling over 6,500 copies in the first day with virtually no promotions is still an accomplishment for any group and helps hold still T-ara’s position as the #3 girl group in Japan right now.

If you compare T-ara’s most recent album sales (Gossip Girls) with their best selling album’s first day sales (Jewelry Box), the change in sales is sadly a 72% decrease. While if you look at KARA, who are largely considered the most popular K-pop group in Japan, and their sales, they also have the exactly same decrease in sales — 72%! Their most recent album (Fantastic Girls) sold 20,081 copies in the first day compared with their best selling album (Super Girl) selling 73,076 copies on the first day.

The same exact decrease in sales for both of the groups is just proof of the Hallyu Wave’s diminishing popularity overseas in Japan. Despite that, the sales for T-ara’s recent album is good for any group for one day in the Japanese market – and who knows what the rest of the week and the final weekly sales will be?!

Source: http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/ja/d/2014-05-13/

Credit: Nathaniel @ Diadem

I hope it's worth it, though perhaps if they keep having less and less succes in Japan they'll focus more on their korean activities(I just like korean more, even if the japanese company autotunes their voices better).

And at the risk of being a freeloading bum, I can't wait for the album to make it on youtube :D.

Nice, it seems that it is selling better than Lead The Way mini album which was at #7 i think.

Although i wonder, would the sales be higher if there was only one version instead of having the three versions (Diamond, Sapphire & Pearl).

Anyways, I hope T-ara would have a big success in Japan. I wonder though, are they not going to do any promotions?

Yes, one point is that the popularity of the Hallyu wave ~at least for the girl bands~ seems to be ebbing not only in Japan but also the rest of the world & even in Korea itself (honestly I don't even follow K-pop as much as I use to anymore accept for T-ara & KBS variety shows) but the other point is both Kara & T-ara are neglecting to promote their J-songs & albums prior to the release.

The fact is that T-ara can still chart over Perfume (album debuted same day and was #4 just below T-ara) who are #1 at Nikkei Entertainment 2014 Female Group Ranking without real effort (http://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bml4NKTCEAAETE7.jpg) shows that our girls can actually compete with the local big names if CCM would just put more effort to it. As mentioned above this is still an accomplishment.

But what type of promotion did the members actually do in Japan for Gossip Girls besides that team battle in Sakigate Eight? When was the last time they performed live on Japanese TV? Heck Gossip Girls doesn't even have a real MV (which are called PVs~ P-romotional V-ideos in Japan btw.... Promotional.... Videos...) accept a recycled version of Do You Know Me (where their lips don't match) and Behind the Scene videos. TV & PV before the sale day that's the ticket to good sales & I can't believe CCM couldn't get the airtime if they just allocated more money & manpower on promoting.

To me right now CCM is just looking at the Japanese market as a place where they can make easy side-pocket money without investing too much time, energy & funds to do it. Which is a waste since the T-ara members have did a great job in recording Gossip Girls (love the songs!) & no doubt will love to put some of the good old T-ara-style hard work to promote it (remember the Bunny Style multi-city promotion?).

So basically if:

1. CCM's strategy is getting as much money possible from Japan by spending as little as they can so CCM can allocate more resources to their activities in Korea -->SUCCESS!

2. If CCM wants to make T-ara a household name in Japan and overpass Kara (which is still recovering from member losses) as the #2 K-girl band there ---> DO A BETTER JOB CCM!

Nice, it seems that it is selling better than Lead The Way mini album which was at #7 i think.

Although i wonder, would the sales be higher if there was only one version instead of having the three versions (Diamond, Sapphire & Pearl).

Anyways, I hope T-ara would have a big success in Japan. I wonder though, are they not going to do any promotions?

Not sure about concerts but they're set to do their Summer School tour of fan meets in Japan.

This is really good to hear. Although... their sound is changing. As they mature we are hearing a different T ara. They are not doing as much of the cute stuff now as the adult emotional stuff. Slower melodies and softer tones. I'm surprised that this would go over in Japan where they usually succeed with the more upbeat stuff. I like ballads and slower tempos as much as the next guy, but wouldn't it be great to hear another "Bo Peep" or "Lovey Dovey"?

This is really good to hear. Although... their sound is changing. As they mature we are hearing a different T ara. They are not doing as much of the cute stuff now as the adult emotional stuff. Slower melodies and softer tones. I'm surprised that this would go over in Japan where they usually succeed with the more upbeat stuff. I like ballads and slower tempos as much as the next guy, but wouldn't it be great to hear another "Bo Peep" or "Lovey Dovey"?

I agree. "Lovey Dovey" is among the best song that T-ara have under their belt, including "Sexy Love". In fact, they have a few songs that were not promoted exclusively in their album espcially "Don't Get Married" which in my honest opinion is a better song than "Because I Know" which both of them are in the "Again" mini album