Diadem Forums

[15.04.12] T-ara, Why They Are So Popular In China

Beckhie

[15.04.12] T-ara, Why They Are So Popular In China

Local girl's group, T-ara, has received the 3 highest honours in China. Their popularity in China is unlike the rest. In a key music award ceremony, The 3rd V Chart Awards, they won the highest popularity award, celebrity of the year award and member Jiyeon won the award for best female singer. Particularly for the highest popularity award, it was determined by the voting of fans. Being able to defeat the rest of the well-known artists to win this award has a deep significance. So what is the reason why T-ara is so popular in China?

On the 12th, T-ara's agency announced that T-ara had won the highest popularity award, celebrity of the year award and best female singer award in the annual V Chart Awards ceremony held in Beijing.

Many of the Chinese industry reps expressed that the high popularity of T-ara was due to their songs.  Many of their songs are widely popular. Roly Poly, TTL, Bo Peep Bo peep, Like The First Time, I Go Crazy Because Of You, etc are well-liked not only in Korea but also in China.

In addition, their unique music style and their catchy tunes are also key in obtaining the love of the local fans. Due to their unique concepts, their stage performances are diverse in style and hence, they became the 1st to be considered for invitations for many of the activities. Shuffling dance and retro-dance moves that are choreographed to be easy to follow were effective in their aim.

Last year, T-ara collaboration with popular Chinese duo, Chopstick Brothers, for 'Little Apple' also helped raised their recognition in China significantly. With the familiarity of the songs, though unfamiliar faces, this activity raised their level of presence among Chinese fans.

Although not fluent, T-ara still try hard to use Chinese to communicate with their fans. Their effort put in are also recognised and appreciated, adding to their popularity. Learning and being familiar with the Chinese words/phrases to use on performance stages in order to interact with fans is the key in the eyes of T-ara's agency.

T-ara had also earlier performed for the sultan coronation ceremony in Malaysia as the main performing artists on 29 March. They performed 10 songs and along with Taboo from Black Eyed Peas, they were promoted heavily in the local promotion posters.

All these overseas activities had led to the accusations of "T-ara are focusing on overseas activities due to their difficulties in domestic activities."  If this is indeed true, their strategy has been very successful indeed.

Source: TopStarNews
Chinese Translation via T-ara Tieba

Sigh! The netizens... always the netizens. T-ara's agency already stated last year near the end of 2014 that T-ara would be busy focusing on their overseas activities in 2015. 'difficulties in domestic activities?' then stop making it difficult for them will you? That aside congratulations once again to T-ara for winning 3 major awards. Its nice to see their hard work and efforts being appreciated. *cough*Burns, don't it?*cough*

Business is business. Where the demand (and more importantly, profit) is, that's where they'd go. Even without the perception/accusation of their OLD scandal still hounding them in their home soil, it's likely T-ara (and even other groups/artists) would still expand, due to the heavily saturated Korean market (look at the ever growing number of girl groups alone). I say 'good' thing about the scandal is that they don't 'need' be tied down and not lose their initial/local fanbase. Talk about turning misfortune into (lucrative, hopefully) opportunities.

As the saying goes, strike while the iron is hot. If there is demand, it would be illogical to turn it down, unless a better option present itself (or that demand is detrimental in some way). Like their recent singles/albums have less than stellar sales, would it be a wonder if they tried/moved on their hand in other (and bigger) markets, especially if they are being invited?

Another thing, less domestic projects mean T-ara need not go 300% activities in at least 3 countries. They are reputed as one of the most overworked (at which they even have a clip complaining/demanding of having no breaks since debut) I shudder what state they would be in if they are moving all around in East Asia (and other parts of the world) all the time.

I acknowledge that having a strong and loyal fanbase is important as the core, as overseas activities may only be trendy in those countries (i.e. short term), but complaining about the lack of local activities is laughable in the least.

PS: I just hope the girls further improve their language skills (whether Japanese, Korean, English, etc). Any work that requires regular interaction with foreigners (relatively to oneself), good communication skills are a must, especially in an industry T-ara is in.

not only music but also what they perfomance in the variety shows and drama (dun forget before, they work over 20hours per day ).

of cause, the most important is their personality, character and beautiful appearance.

and thanks to all queens subbers help person like me, who dun knew korean , still can undersatand and watch their performance.

6-ara are been throught too many things, all good and bad happening, just make them stronger and wiser, from gems to become diamonds.

we are lucky because we can see this happening.

It's great that T-ara is so popular in China. I think they should focus less on South Korea and Japan and move on to China to focus more on that. They don't have too much time to promote T-ara N4 or QBS I think. They can do some occasional solo projects as well.

Maybe 1 South Korean and 1 Japanese title track each year, and 1 solo project each year, with the rest of the time focusing on China may be good.

T-ara has been around since 2009, they only have a few more years left I think, so this is their chance right now to focus on China. I think they will get even more popular and I'm excited to buy their Chinese music! :-)

I am a member of both Tiaradiadem and T-araworld. I wonder if you all are posting there, and if posters from there are posting here? I want to see the international T-ara fans united and posting on multiple websites please. O:-)

t-ara is famous because their hardwork is paid off finally,they were having a hard time when all the netizens tried to shut them down.I'm really grateful that t-ara is still strong because we queens believe in them.whatever happens,t-ara and queens will always be one.forget all the haters.don't let them get in your way.티아라 ,파이팅 !!

t-ara is famous because their hardwork has finally paid off not because their domestic activities having some difficulties.seriously,they all work hard to promote t-ara to the world.I'm grateful that t-ara is still standing strong as one of the well known k-pop idol.whatever happens,t-ara and queens will always be one.I'll keep supporting them in whatever they might do in the future.티아라,파이팅!!!

I am a member of both Tiaradiadem and T-araworld. I wonder if you all are posting there, and if posters from there are posting here? I want to see the international T-ara fans united and posting on multiple websites please. O:-)

No, T-ara World and our staff are not the same, but I'd totally be up for collaborating with them sometime. :D