Diadem Forums

[16.06.20] Soyeon talks about her passion for acting, 8 years into debut as a singer and more with BNT

Stew

[16.06.20] Soyeon talks about her passion for acting, 8 years into debut as a singer and more with BNT

T-ara has debuted for about 8 years. The members are now in their late 2os and their diverse performance and individuals‘ charm capture the public‘s heart.

Soyeon has spent her 2os as T-ara and is now entering her 3os. Although everything around her doesn't seem to change, her concept and mind has slowly changed and masked behind her short words carry deep meanings.

We remember Soyeon as the person standing on the stage, but she has another starting point. Soyeon has a new dream and now the world is anticipating them.

Q. It‘s your second BNT photoshoot, how do you feel?

There have been many photoshoots with T-ara altogether, but the last time was my first time doing a photoshoot with BNT as Soyeon. It was the first photoshoot in my life and I was very nervous but I remember having fun. The 2nd photoshoot definitely makes me more nervous compared to the first. There are also many different concepts, I had fun doing the photoshoot.

Q. What kind of concepts do you like the most?

I like all of the concepts we're doing today but the girl crush concept was an image rarely shown on normal days, it gives off different feel to it.

Q. I‘m curious about how T-ara has been recently?

We‘ve been promoting in China and are preparing for a concert. We also held a Japan fan meeting not too long ago. We‘re also preparing for activities in Korea. Personally, I will be filming for a web drama in July not as T-ara but as actress Soyeon. I will be acting with cool senior for the web drama so please show many interests in it.

Q. T-ara has been a group for 8 years. what‘s the secret to a girl group's ‘longevity'?

I think it‘s listening well to company‘s advice. It‘s what all the members agreed upon (laughs). As idols, the company takes on the parents‘ role and teaches us. Just like in school, if you listen well to your teachers, you get the perfect attendance reward and also get to hear some praises, I think we‘re indeed like that.

Q. Your popularity in China is tremendous. What do you think is the reason behind it?

I really don‘t know the reason. Firstly, I always carry a very grateful heart to that. Personally, having received so much love and interest urge me to further develop myself better. The part where T-ara puts much effort in is not being pretty or putting on cool performance and songs, instead we focus on appealing to different age group and I think that helps a lot.

Q. Future plans for Korea and overseas activities?

Firstly, I was wondering if I'd be able to see each member promoting individually in Korea. In China, we're preparing to appear on music and variety programs with all members, and we're expecting another concert. Hyomin, Jiyeon, Eunjung and I will be appearing in a SBS program called Lord of The Rings, we filmed it in China and soon we will be greeting you in Korea and China at the same time.

2719272bd6e513694aa5411e7159085b.jpg

Q. You'll be 3o this year. What's the difference between 2os and 3os?

I feel very different personally. While my surroundings and life stays somewhat the same, turning 30 seems to be the turning point for my mind and idea. How I think of myself changes.

Q. Do you already envy seeing your friends who are much younger than you?

So far, rather than feeling envious, it‘s more of feeling 'so pretty' towards them. Since it's a beauty that you can have only at that age.

Q. Your look doesn't show that you are 30, any tips on skin and body management?

I'm not one who does such management; every time I get this question in interview it puts me in a spot. If I have to choose, the biggest reason is probably because my parents look young (laughs). Also, as T-ara promotes, rather than same-age friends, we work while carrying the sense of looking much younger, so it's probably due to that. Other than that, it's the same as how any other woman manages themselves out there.

Q. Even then, if there is a tip that you must recommend?

I like lower body bathing. When you're resting at home feeling tired, rather than just sitting down or lying down on the bed, I'm the type who rests water. I think it's good for blood circulation and skincare so I'd recommend that.

Q. You originally dreamed of being an actress rather than a singer. Actress Soyeon and Singer Soyeon feels totally different.

It's equally difficult, tiring, and I'm equally lacking in many parts. Till now when I monitor myself, I find many parts I'm lacking in. I'm still extremely a rookie in the acting field so I'm probably much more nervous than when I'm standing on the stage as singer.

Q. At the last interview you said you will study hard in acting, is it still ongoing now?

I don‘t really get the chance to learn from expert coaches. This is due to the extremely busy schedule of T-ara, I don‘t get much personal time. Although I'm slightly pushed back from not getting good coaching, I ride on planes frequently and l closely observe my favorite actors and actresses' work while I'm on the plane.

My favorite actors and actresses emphasize on acting through the eyes. In the viewers' eyes, I do not want to be someone who really wants to do acting, but rather acts more realistically. Objectively I want people who watch my acting feels, ‘ah, that actress is acting through her eyes'. In order to do that, you have to sympathize and feel the emotion so I listen well to many of my friends' stories, and many counselling, indirectly I'm putting in the effort to learn.

Q. If that's the case, there must be a character that you really want to act out.

Actually, as a rookie, there's not many roles that I feel greedy for. I'm more concerned over doing well for the roles given. In the past, I've acted under the guidance of amazing directors as mainly bright, strong characters. Hence, I'm looking forward to getting roles where I'm able to express my emotion more. I don‘t think now is the time to go after the protagonist
role. I think I should think of that when I can handle it. It's not a matter over small or big roles. I want to be able to pursue acting for a long time.

dec7684708b055ca274ce84999613c82.jpg

Q. You have less activities compared to other members, do you feel any regret?

Of course there is a regrettable part to it. While I'm thankful my dream of becoming a singer and standing in front of fans have come true, personally, there are still many dreams I have yet to fulfill. l have limited experience as both an MC and Actress but it's regrettable I don‘t get the chance to show my full potential. Even so, I'm always thinking positively. If there are many things I'm not able to show, there must be many things in me that people are curious about and looking forward to and in the future, I might just get the chance to show them.

Q. T-ara has many addictive hit songs,what are your favorites?

I think T-ara songs are really good (laughs). Personally, I like Cry Cry and TTL.

Cry Cry is a really good song. It's sad and there‘s a beautiful combination in the melody and lyrics and performance that makes it easy to digest. I don‘t think we've been able to show much of such  concept. As for TTL, as the main vocal of T-ara, my voice in the song seems to be much preferred by people who like my voice. I have an attachment to it since many people said they first like Soyeon after listening to the song TTL.

Q. T-ara is a group with a definite color. Any styles you're looking to do in the future?

There's a joke that the members have been talking about. Now we're no longer rookies and the members' average age are late 2os, we want to try something we haven‘t been able to do. We talked about wanting to do fresh and lovely girl concept like Gfriend (laughs). We debuted when we were around the current age of the Gfriend members but we're unable to do
such concept. During debut, rather than showing young girl concept, we showed a unique and girl crush-like concept. We might be able to pull it off right now, but I think it will be burdensome for the people receiving it (laughs).

Q. You've been a girl group member for a longtime. Most memorable memories?

It will have to be debut stage. The members' expression on that day, the fluttering feelings we felt on that day, and also even the air it's all etched into the memories deeply. One regrettable thing is, we did practice live but it was an outdoor stage and the wind was blowing very strongly so we couldn't do a live stage. Now that I think about it, we're all over the place during our debut stage but it's the least trembling time on the stage for me.

Q. You've received tremendous love from your fans. How much?

There's a time when the fans voted in US Billboard. It's totally based on fans' vote and the last contestants were Beyoncé and T-ara. We won 1st place and it was quite awkward and unbelievable. It was a present from the fans and during that time I was thinking 'there ARE indeed so many people who love us.'

Q. The most memorable fan?

I tend to remember people easily. Of course, it can't be helped that I will remember the fans who came to see me more. If I have to pick among them it will be the elderly couple who came to our Japanese concert-fanmeeting. It was coincidentally their wedding anniversary and they came all the way (to Japan) to listen to my voice. They were standing there with Hangul placard, 'this is our 50 year wedding anniversary. We came to listen to Soyeon's voice to celebrate'. It was an extremely meaningful day for both of them, yet on this day they came to see me; it was very touching and unforgettable experience.

f46c9321e37dacd271c1d6c291fe59db.jpg

Q. You must have lots of hoobaes (juniors) now. Any picked up your interest?

Gfriend. I personally really like them. More than anything, they work really hard on stage. I saw their first debut stage. I knew they will do well. I saw their rehearsal as rookies; they're still the same now. That's why, I will always support Gfriend, and also I was surprised seeing Twice in person, all of the members are so pretty. (laughs)

Q. The 6 members have been together for a long time, they're like family. Words to the members?

We've spent more time than with our actual families. For me, they're my friends who I spent my 2os with and so I'm overwhelmed with feelings. I have no siblings in real life so the members are my sisters, unnie, and friends. In the future, I hope we will stay the same way and be together for a long time for the sake of the fans who loved us.

Q. Soyeon's dream is?

I really love what I'm currently doing and so after that I want to pay filial piety my parents. I hope T-ara will be even better and I hope the image Soyeon hasn't been able to show will be shown in the future given the opportunity.

Q. Words to the fans?

I think of fans like dongsaengs, unnies, and oppas. I'm really sorry for always making you wait to show our better sides. Even then, I think of us as one family and I believe you will look after us.

Source: BNT