Diadem Forums

[SPAZZ] t-ara's sexy love.. a failure?

bubblesGO

Perhaps another reflector that many in the public are still feeling negative sentiments towards the group, T-ara’s recent comeback album,

Mirage

has been seeing its ratings by online users take a nose dive while accompanied with a slew of negative reviews.

Taking a look at music sites such as Melon, the album could be seen with a humiliating 0.5 stars rating out of a total 5 stars despite close to 60,000 individuals having rated the album. Since the album’s release,

Mirage

has been receiving, on average 2 to 3 stars per rating. However, since the recent

”black ocean”

performance in Jeju Island, sentiments have seemingly become even more sour with raters now giving the album, on average, 1 to 2 stars.

Sifting through some of the close to 14,000 reviews, a large portion of the user reviews also turned up negative for the album.

Netizens responded to this latest controversy saying, “Their comeback was much too soon”, “Their comeback has been an utter failure” while other expressed their support saying, “Be strong, T-ara.”

news: CR ro Mnet's global.

stay strong T-ara

I think you can consider it a failure since people didn't accept it.

Seeing their previous releases we can see 2~3 stars to almost all of them but Day by Day (which I won't consider too and I'll tell why). The Absolute First Album has the higher rate reaching 3.5 stars with a lil more than 3,400 votes followed by Black Eyes, 3.2 stars 5,000 votes, and Breaking Heart (AFA repack), 3.1 stars 4,800 votes. Good, right?

Jumping to Day by Day and Sexy Love rated with 1.4 and 0.5 stars you shall see a boom on numbers of votes in DbD, 26,000, and a ridiculous boom in SL, 72,000.

Yes, they didn't accept it, and I guess they won't so soon. Guess there're still people annoyed about the whole scandal and they cared enough to express it by voting that way.

But, talking about the music itself, I disagree the rate given to DbD and SL. There're really good songs there, I wouldn't give less than 3 stars.

Yeah the timing was pretty messed up. But honestly if you're going to bombard fans with repackages over and over, some of those albums will take a hit. That combined with the s-storm T-ara got themselves in... The album itself wasn't bad, I found Sexy Love to be the upbeat song they were missing among all the melancholic and remixes from Day By Day.

Seriously, I can't be the only one here who thinks like this right? Whatever happened to full length albums with some effort put into them. And them coming out maybe once or twice a year? I honestly hate buying so many albums for pretty much the same songs. Gotta support the girls though...

We need Absolute First Album/Breaking Heart-type albums again.

Yeah the timing was pretty messed up. But honestly if you're going to bombard fans with repackages over and over, some of those albums will take a hit.

Agree in terms.

When a repackage is released I don't expect it to receive a much different rate from the original. Sure, it can be lower than the previous, but not much. If its songs are pretty much the same, rate should be close too.

But if we say this about sales, I agree it would fall significantly.

And, yeah, we need more AFA albums.

Seriously, I can't be the only one here who thinks like this right? Whatever happened to full length albums with some effort put into them. And them coming out maybe once or twice a year? I honestly hate buying so many albums for pretty much the same songs. Gotta support the girls though...

We need Absolute First Album/Breaking Heart-type albums again.

Agree in terms.

When a repackage is released I don't expect it to receive a much different rate from the original. Sure, it can be lower than the previous, but not much. If its songs are pretty much the same, rate should be close too.

But if we say this about sales, I agree it would fall significantly.

And, yeah, we need more AFA albums.

Full length albums take time - plus AFA was made during the months of T-ara's first months before it was released, so their schedules couldn't have been as overwhelming back in mid-late 2009 compared to say, 2010, 2011 and this year where overseas promotions also had taken up a considerable amount of their time.

If memory calls, Day By Day was also supposed to be a full length second album (at least that's what CCM said in the beginning of this year since that was one of the reasons why acting was a no-go, which turned out to be complete bull since Eunjung, Hyomin and Soyeon ended up being casted in dramas anyway) though that ended up being a mini.

I'm guessing activities in Japan as well as the photoshoot in Europe killed whatever precious time could have been used to make such. Talk about piss-poor management. So long as CCM knows it can still make quick buck from fans by just pouring out a heck load of repackages of mini-albums, it's hard to see a full length album being released anytime soon - plus T-ara's schedules and promotions as a result of such aren't making things any more optimistic.

If anything, cutting down on the reliance of mini-albums and their repackages would be a good start for work on a second studio album - plus it should give the members more time to breathe while also letting the scars of that scandal heal over time rather than making multiple comebacks a year which would push them even closer to lashing out again, as it happened 4 months ago.

Please remember to tag your topics.

That article dates back to when Sexy Love was first release, and at that time there was still a lot of heat on them and continuous attacks from netizens. Even if people liked the songs, those low stars and negative reviews were to be expected.

In terms of sales, indeed lower than their previous singles. Once again expected but the sale number itself is not a flop, but compared to their previous singles and considering how well T-ara sells (specifically before the scandal), yeah, not too great at all.

And a clarification from that article about the black ocean, there technically wasn't any. None of the fandoms purportedly carried lightsticks (the fandom that was rumored to be the instigators don't even have lightsticks). They mostly recieved a silent audience, with few cheers only at the beginning and end of the performance.

• 3 weeks later...

You can't take biased reviews and call the album/comeback a complete failure off of that.

You have to factor in a lot of other things such as the amount of sales, how much money they made through promotions, etc.

For example, when an artist like Justin Bieber releases an album, a bunch of people will hate on it and rate it negatively, but his fans and some other people may rate it favourably and buy it resulting in it selling millions of copies which many would count as a success.

Most of the people rating the album aren't even rating it based off the quality of the music but on their opinion of the artist which should be mostly irrelevant to the quality. That or they are heavily biased in their opinion of the album due to the events that happened.

I think most would agree that the comeback was way too soon with all the drama happening but I wouldn't deem the comeback a total failure. I do wish their CEO wasn't so bad at "managing" his artists though, if you can even call it that.

I'm almost 100% sure that the album would have been received a lot better without all the events surrounding them. They would likely have taken multiple #1 spots. The title song itself is a lot more addicting to listen to and easier to make popular than some of their other songs.

• 3 months later...

I wouldn't say total failure.

It just wasn't on the same level of success as their other songs/albums.

If the controversy didn't happen, 'Sexy love' could've been a hit too! It's catchy, has great music videos and is performed by a top group but still has a "This is T-ARA" feel to it^^

And I think it did pretty good on the charts even how it was released like a month(?) after the controversy hit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...