Diadem Forums

[SPAZZ] America? :D

Temptation

Whoa a concert here and there does in no manner mean it's a respected thing. Going back to my previous example; anime, look at how crowded some of these anime conventions are and yet how ridiculed the subject is among mainstream America.

I'm not saying Kpop won't be successful in the US, it just won't be at this time. They need to learn how music culture in the US works before bringing that stuff over here. And when they are over here, what the proper channels are so they don't turn out to be a joke.

The reason why anime is ridiculed in the U.S. is based on the poor conversions that involve editing and language translations. That doesn't reduce the anime fandom in the U.S., especially when it comes to the internet. As for K-Pop concerts, that definitely represents respect, otherwise, the concerts held by our own artists in the U.S. is totally meaningless.

They are gradually learning and getting better with each "time". Sure, there are those who would love to have a huge K-Pop explosion all over the U.S., myself included, but I'm sure everybody knows it will take time for them to adjust with the new talents coming from Korea as well.

No that's the reason Anime fans critcize anime. Again, you're relating a small group's view on one subject. Normal people critcize anime because they think it's weird, point blank. It doesn't reduce the fandom but it puts a cap on it.

And re: all these supposed Kpop artists who did succeed in the US, where are their CDs when I walk down the music aisle at Target or Best Buy? Or their singles on the radio?

-edit-

^how did you come to the conclusion that normal people view anime as weird when it's like a cartoon in a normal person's view? I've seen TV stations put edited versions out for kids on Saturday mornings or unedited version late at night or young adults on Adult Swim (i don't know about these currently since i don't watch cartoons anymore)

Whoa a concert here and there does in no manner mean it's a respected thing. Going back to my previous example; anime, look at how crowded some of these anime conventions are and yet how ridiculed the subject is among mainstream America.

I'm not saying Kpop won't be successful in the US, it just won't be at this time. They need to learn how music culture in the US works before bringing that stuff over here. And when they are over here, what the proper channels are so they don't turn out to be a joke.

Your first statement, having a concert, having people attend it, doesn't it mean that the attendees are respecting the artists that are performing? Otherwise why bother attending.

As for anime, i don't know how it's being 'ridiculed' in mainstream America, but i think its probably thought as a comic book?

I don't know if you've been reading the news and other sources, but these kpop artists like Wonder Girls and SNSD are actually working with some of the popular song writers/artists/producers here in America for their English songs that they want to present to the US.

1. Same goes for those who saw it, and then ending up hating it, because they don't understand the language. There is no claim in your argument to clearly state that K-Pop is fail in the U.S. None whatsoever. You might as well be arguing apples and oranges, despite the concert turnouts for them. Before them, there weren't K-Pop concerts of that magnitude with the level of media exposure back then. Your argument fails to mention the internet medium in the U.S. too. How many Americans purchase computers and smartphones, amongst other hardwares to stay connected with the rest of the world? Lots. How many internet social mediums involved K-Pop online? Lots. Viewing the video uploads of those concerts just screams success, because it demonstrates just how much K-Pop is growing in the U.S. since BoA and Baby V.O.X. The only thing "significant" in this point, is its inability to consider the growth scale since 1996.

2. Actually politics has absolutely nothing to do with K-Pop, henceforth, discrimination and closed-mindedness is similar nonetheless, which makes this point a fail too. Oh, and to prove to you this point is an epic fail, . . . U.S.A. = United States of "America". :D

3. The people here are not all from the U.S. Sorry, but I totally disagree with your arguments.

1. I don't think you even take a second to let people's opinion to soak in your mind. Meaningless pride I should say? Anyway, as I've said many times already, your "many" and "lots" doesn't mean a thing when it doesn't even add up to a significant number. And I said that just because people saw kpop didn't mean they like it...meaning that they can simply DON'T CARE. You just further support my argument that the Americans are closed-minded when you stated "people hate it just because they don't understand the language" because that's exactly the problem. You've said before that music is music, yet why does the differences in language can cause a person to hate music? Closed-minded. You're the only one that doesn't realized it yourself. As for K-pop success in the past, I don't care what source you're reading (just please don't quote sources from wikipedia), I'm personally close with some kpop fans during BoA time and they can tell you whether she succeed or not. And about a decade later, nothing major has changed. If you even considered WG or SNSD a "significant" achievement, then you might as well say kpop has already became successful in the U.S. back during BoA's age.

2. The characteristics of a person does not change whether when it comes to politics nor personal preferences. Furthermore, personal preferences is what motivate your political actions. So no, instead of my argument being failed, it's your counter-argument that is flawed and doesn't make sense whatsoever. As for your so-called "epic fail", I don't see your humor in trying to convey the continent America as USA. It's the exact same stereo-type that Asia = China.

3. Not all of them are, but I know for a fact that at there are more U.S. people in this thread that are against than for.

No that's the reason Anime fans critcize anime. Again, you're relating a small group's view on one subject. Normal people critcize anime because they think it's weird, point blank. It doesn't reduce the fandom but it puts a cap on it.

And re: all these supposed Kpop artists who did succeed in the US, where are their CDs when I walk down the music aisle at Target or Best Buy? Or their singles on the radio?

Actually, that "is" the reasons why anime is getting the facepalm in the U.S. I can go back to the 1980s, starting with Macross, and the F.C.C.'s intervention in 1994. Through the otakus in the U.S. and Europe, they help spread the word to those who are new to anime in the world.

I can still find BoA's, Girls' Generation (Japanese, and their U.S. release album on the 17th of this month.), and Kara in stores here, where I live. As for the radio, I think that one will take some time, but most likely that is in the works too. I am told that there online radios that play K-Pop. ^_^

1. I don't think you even take a second to let people's opinion to soak in your mind. Meaningless pride I should say? Anyway, as I've said many times already, your "many" and "lots" doesn't mean a thing when it doesn't even add up to a significant number. And I said that just because people saw kpop didn't mean they like it...meaning that they can simply DON'T CARE. You just further support my argument that the Americans are closed-minded when you stated "people hate it just because they don't understand the language" because that's exactly the problem. You've said before that music is music, yet why does the differences in language can cause a person to hate music? Closed-minded. You're the only one that doesn't realized it yourself. As for K-pop success in the past, I don't care what source you're reading (just please don't quote sources from wikipedia), I'm personally close with some kpop fans during BoA time and they can tell you whether she succeed or not. And about a decade later, nothing major has changed. If you even considered WG or SNSD a "significant" achievement, then you might as well say kpop has already became successful in the U.S. back during BoA's age.
2. The characteristics of a person does not change whether when it comes to politics nor personal preferences. Furthermore, personal preferences is what motivate your political actions. So no, instead of my argument being failed, it's your counter-argument that is flawed and doesn't make sense whatsoever. As for your so-called "epic fail", I don't see your humor in trying to convey the continent America as USA. It's the exact same stereo-type that Asian = Chinese.
3. Not all of them are, but I know for a fact that at there are more U.S. people in this thread that are against than for.

1. I'm against brainwashing, especially when it comes to baseless hating. And your numbers are so not the final answer to the K-Pop question in the U.S. And yet, there are Korean language class and college courses teaching new students every day in the U.S. ^_^ If the person hates music, than the person just simply hates music, or not really into music. As for wikipedia, for me, and I am quite sure others will agree, that having a website that is able to correct its own mistakes, has more creditability than another site that sticks to its mistakes. Being close with other K-Pop fans in the past (which is good) with that conclusion, doesn't equal to the growth of K-Pop fans of today (This point of yours is a fail now.).

2. Babies grow up while learning, therefore "change" is an inevitable ability in the human species. If you stated "North America" prior to this becoming a fail, then I would agree. But since you did not, you missed an important insight when Americans say "U.S.", they also mean "America", which basically covers "U.S.A. = United States of America". Sorry, this point is still a fail.

3. And still yet, it doesn't cover "every" U.S. citizen in "America". This point is a fail.

4. Singling me out in an argument (personal attacking) is an indication that there is nothing further to discuss with you on the topic matter. Please, do bother already, your argument has failed to prevent K-Pop from spreading into the U.S.

Ever since the KPOP power and beauty got postponed, I've been missing T-ara more often.. =[ lol

In response to the Kpop entering the American market discussion, I do believe that K-pop will begin to grow in America. I mean it's just the beginning for SNSD, 2ne1, and Wonder Girls but I know it will take quite a while. A majority of my friends and relatives are still skeptical about anything Korean or Asian. lol

• 2 weeks later...