423 members have voted

1. 1. Most underrated member?

• Eunjung
    • Hyomin
    • Jiyeon
    • Qri
    • Boram
    • Soyeon

No, underrated is someone who should deserve more credit than what she is receiving now.

I know. My statement wasn't a question. I just took it to mean not as famous = not as recognised (= your definition of not enough credit.) and based it on that.

Edited my original post to make things clearer.

I voted for Boram too. :(

Eunjung, Jiyeon and Hyomin are well-known. They're on variety shows or have dramas. Soyeon is in the middle. She's the main vocalist so it's really easy to notice her in T-ara's songs and MVs. She also did a musical I heard + she's the current leader so that adds to it. Even when Boram was the leader, I felt like she was still underrated. Qri...she was an ulzzang and did do some acting I heard. At least she got something. :) Hwayoung is underrated as well but some people remember her because she has a twin so... :P

• 4 weeks later...

I think I voted Qri or Boram when I first read this topic and still new with T-ara. Now I deleted my vote and choose Soyeon. Underrated member means someone that deserves much more than people will allow. Soyeon has a great voice and variety skills. While I can't really say the same with Qri and Boram talent-wise. Soyeon deserves more credit.

We are alike.I first voted for Boram/Qri but then after I got to know more about them,I change my vote to Soyeon.Even now she's the leader (+main vocalist+spokesperson),I don't see the change in popularity in her.

The reason why The Big 3 are the most popular members in T-ara because each of them have acted in a lot of dramas and movies.Eunjung acted since she was 7-8 while Jiyeon since she was still 14 plus the variety shows such as WGM,Heroes and more.While Hyomin was in Invincible Youth and at that time,T-ara just debuted a couple of months before.

It saddened to see how underrated she is because apart from having a great singing skills,she has a lot of gag and knows how to be funny but I rarely see her in variety shows,alone (minus O!MS).I hope she can given the opportunity to shine just like The Big 3,because she really deserves it.

Talent-wise:Well,I can't say the same with Boram and Qri,too.

They are just seems too quiet and shy whenever they're infront of the cameras.I think even Hwayoung is more popular then the other 2.To be very honest,I was kinda shocked knowing that Boram was once a leader.It is sad knowing that every time they are on a variety/interview show,they got the least air time since they talk less than the other members.

We are alike.I first voted for Boram/Qri but then after I got to know more about them,I change my vote to Soyeon.Even now she's the leader (+main vocalist+spokesperson),I don't see the change in popularity in her.

The reason why The Big 3 are the most popular members in T-ara because each of them have acted in a lot of dramas and movies.Eunjung acted since she was 7-8 while Jiyeon since she was still 14 plus the variety shows such as WGM,Heroes and more.While Hyomin was in Invincible Youth and at that time,T-ara just debuted a couple of months before.

It saddened to see how underrated she is because apart from having a great singing skills,she has a lot of gag and knows how to be funny but I rarely see her in variety shows,alone (minus O!MS).I hope she can given the opportunity to shine just like The Big 3,because she really deserves it.

Talent-wise:Well,I can't say the same with Boram and Qri,too.

They are just seems too quiet and shy whenever they're infront of the cameras.I think even Hwayoung is more popular then the other 2.To be very honest,I was kinda shocked knowing that Boram was once a leader.It is sad knowing that every time they are on a variety/interview show,they got the least air time since they talk less than the other members.

If you said this back in 2009 to late 2011, I would have agreed with you fully, especially regarding So Yeon. If one notices, So Yeon's popularity didn't increase until at least when Cry Cry came ou (or if one argues, possibly Roly Poly but that's highly subject to debate)t, followed by becoming the leader of T-ara - hence giving more spotlight as well as her participation in the Roly Poly musical soon after that.

Though I think we can agree that acting isn't really a thing So Yeon is passionate about compared to the Big Three - besides, it's arguable that she's more concerned with her music career than having to do something almost entirely unrelated to singing. Plus, unlike EJ and JY AND Hyomin, So Yeon likely didn't have any real noteworthy training or experience in acting. I doubt she was trained for it in her days back in SM as well.

In terms of popularity with Boram and Qri...while I cannot say much about Qri, I believe Boram's height of popularity was during T-ara's earlier months up to her tenure as leader of the group. If I recall right, there was a show that revealed through Boram's personal life with her sister and mother long before T-ara's debut - her mother did admit that Boram is the type that is shy and has difficulty expressing herself freely - that I believe, confirms why she's always shy/quiet most of the time.

Though considering her obviously noticeable visual appearance in T-ara, as well as being the oldest member AND whose parents and grandparents were once famous people themselves, I'd have to say that she's still got a much higher advantage than Qri in popularity. CCM simply has yet to promote her - which is their fault by all means.

I would be seriously split between voting for Hwayoung or voting for Jiyeon if the former wasn't absent from the poll. To me they seem to be more talented than the most cynical and critical fans give them credit for being, but they suffer from a terrible case of mismanagement, as the way Hwayoung was advertised and introduced wasn't really CCM's smartest move to day, and some serious slave driving, as Jiyeon looking like she's depressed, exhausted, or just not giving a flying damn anymore has become so common as for the most cruel critics to mention her blank eyes and barely alive looks as one of the reasons they dislike her.

Boram and Qri would seem the obvious choices, but I am not so sure we can really use "underrated" to describe them when they rarely get the chance to display their talents and abilities enough for people to fairly "rate" them in a somewhat objective manner.

I'm sorry to intrude in your discussion, but in my experience she's quite popular with the most cynical and critical fans. To the point, actually, where I have seen several uses of "the big three" as a reference to Soyeon, Hyomin, and Eunjung instead of the usual meaning of Hyomin, Eunjung, and Jiyeon.

^No,until now,The Big 3 is still Jiyeon,Eunjung and Hyomin and nothing can really change that.Besides,Jiyeon is the FACE of T-ara.If you actually noticed,all the Big 3 have acted in numerous dramas/movies (but Hyomin acted in less movies/dramas if you're comparing them to Eunjung and/or Jiyeon) while I don't recall Soyeon act in any dramas.If she really has,it's only a cameo that took about not more than 5-10 minutes overall.Moreover,acting is not really what Soyeon is passionate about and unlike the 2 of them who took acting class,she is more into singing career.However,if people are talking about The Big 4,then,of course Soyeon is included.

If you're talking about popularity,then,Eunjung and Jiyeon is out of the question because they are the most popular members in the group.If you read any comments regarding T-ara performances/interviews,most of them are about Jiyeon this and that.Soyeon has a great singing and variety skills but I rarely see her in any variety shows alone - minus Oh! My School.

Different people has different opinion,and I'll stick with mine.But,I take back my words about "don't see the change in popularity in her) seeing how active she and Hyomin are in Roly Poly Musical.Yes,she did increase her popularity,but only slightly.

Seeing you are still new to this Forum,I suggest you read a few topics and then you'll know how huge Jiyeon is.

Different people has different opinion,and I'll stick with mine.No hard feelings :)

^I kind of agree with butterfly unbound in that while Jiyeon is probably the most popular member, you have to consider she can be classified as underrated in terms of actual skill; a lot of people think because she's the "face" of T-ara that she can't sing, but that's obviously not true as soon as you listen to her solos :/

Just because someone is popular doesn't mean that they can't be underrated.

As a whole, unfortunately I'm gonna have to agree with Qri...she was also the last member I learned about :( I may be wrong as a lot of people aren't mentioning this, but I think Hwayoung is underrated too; she doesn't really get to rap to her full potential.

If you said this back in 2009 to late 2011, I would have agreed with you fully, especially regarding So Yeon. If one notices, So Yeon's popularity didn't increase until at least when Cry Cry came ou (or if one argues, possibly Roly Poly but that's highly subject to debate)t, followed by becoming the leader of T-ara - hence giving more spotlight as well as her participation in the Roly Poly musical soon after that.

Though I think we can agree that acting isn't really a thing So Yeon is passionate about compared to the Big Three - besides, it's arguable that she's more concerned with her music career than having to do something almost entirely unrelated to singing. Plus, unlike EJ and JY AND Hyomin, So Yeon likely didn't have any real noteworthy training or experience in acting. I doubt she was trained for it in her days back in SM as well.

In terms of popularity with Boram and Qri...while I cannot say much about Qri, I believe Boram's height of popularity was during T-ara's earlier months up to her tenure as leader of the group. If I recall right, there was a show that revealed through Boram's personal life with her sister and mother long before T-ara's debut - her mother did admit that Boram is the type that is shy and has difficulty expressing herself freely - that I believe, confirms why she's always shy/quiet most of the time.

Though considering her obviously noticeable visual appearance in T-ara, as well as being the oldest member AND whose parents and grandparents were once famous people themselves, I'd have to say that she's still got a much higher advantage than Qri in popularity. CCM simply has yet to promote her - which is their fault by all means.

I also read somewhere that Boram was voted by fans to be the most popular in Japan.

@ ZZuRRa

If you're talking about popularity

I wasn't taking underrated as being related to popularity but to skill and talent. I.E: Of Jiyeon being far more skilled and talented than some people gives her credit for being. In my experience she seems to get a lot of haters, and elsewhere I have come across more than a few comments about her being at most a mediocre singer with no range, and a mediocre actor to boot. And then most of the fans of her I have come across seem to focus on her being pretty and cute far more than they focus on her being talented, skilled, and hardworking.

So in my experience her skill, talent, and effort seem to be vastly underrated and downplayed.

^No,until now,The Big 3 is still Jiyeon,Eunjung and Hyomin and nothing can really change that.

I'm sorry if I explained myself wrongly. I was just referring to comments I had come across elsewhere and not to either the position of the official fandom or my own, as until now I mostly lurked independent blogs and communities for my T-Ara news and content, and there I came across several instances of people using it in such a way.

Maybe I just tripped on a nest of antis (anties?) on my way here.

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding my previous post may have caused. No hard feelings, indeed. :)

^I kind of agree with butterfly unbound in that while Jiyeon is probably the most popular member, you have to consider she can be classified as underrated in terms of actual skill; a lot of people think because she's the "face" of T-ara that she can't sing, but that's obviously not true as soon as you listen to her solos :/

Just because someone is popular doesn't mean that they can't be underrated.

As a whole, unfortunately I'm gonna have to agree with Qri...she was also the last member I learned about :( I may be wrong as a lot of people aren't mentioning this, but I think Hwayoung is underrated too; she doesn't really get to rap to her full potential.

I highly disagree that Ji Yeon can be considered 'underrated' in terms of actual skill - yes, it's undeniable that she has solo OSTs but then again, she hasn't performed any of them on live performances in KBS Music Show, MBC Music Bank and SBS's Inkigayo - the three major music performance shows in Korea. It's not like she's doing acting 24/7. Compare her singing to So Yeon, Eun Jung and Hyomin and you'll see a tremendous gap - some may even argue that Ji Yeon's singing is equal or even worse than Boram's.

But being the most popular member with the largest number of fans, it's no doubt that there are people that will ovexaggerate her actual talent as a singer.

I highly disagree that Ji Yeon can be considered 'underrated' in terms of actual skill - yes, it's undeniable that she has solo OSTs but then again, she hasn't performed any of them on live performances in KBS Music Show, MBC Music Bank and SBS's Inkigayo - the three major music performance shows in Korea. It's not like she's doing acting 24/7. Compare her singing to So Yeon, Eun Jung and Hyomin and you'll see a tremendous gap - some may even argue that Ji Yeon's singing is equal or even worse than Boram's.

But being the most popular member with the largest number of fans, it's no doubt that there are people that will ovexaggerate her actual talent as a singer.

Thanks for backing me up.

You know,you can't really say a singer is great if you only listen to her/their OST songs.I too,can't recall any LIVE performances that she did on stage,ALONE while the S.H.E already had.While I can't comment much about her singing is worse than Boram's (afraid of her fans might attack me),her singing is just mediocre,to say the most.And,that is why we can't see her sing any of her OST live,sooner or later until CCM fully trained them,which I don't think they're doing it now.Besides,singing isn't really what Jiyeon is passionate about since she (and Eunjung) took acting class long before T-ara debuted and they never thought of being a singer until CCM took them.

And,no,@butterfly rebound,I don't hate her.But some of her fans are being very delusional saying her singing skills are the best (or awesome) among all of T-ara members where it's obviously the S.H.E vocals skills are far beyond her (I'm not saying it's you).Yes,she's great at acting,but singing?No.Well,not yet.

It's true that Jiyeon hasn't performed live on stage, so I see your point; however, being able to record the song in the first place demonstrates at least a certain level of skill and range that most people do not credit her with having. One could argue that recording is different from singing live, that it can be edited, etc. but honestly, the singer still needs to actually SING. I've heard a lot of bad solos even on official OSTs, where I'm sure editing takes place. And yes, it's undeniable that Soyeon/Eunjung/Hyomin are better singers than Jiyeon; but the fact that you and I acknowledge this proves my point that they are not underrated. If we use the correlation between skill and other people's appreciation of it to measure overratedness and underratedness (those are not words by the way...), then I have to stand by Jiyeon being underrated. How often do you hear people compliment her on her singing. It's always about her being pretty, looking like Kim Tae Hee - despite the fact that Jiyeon has, I think, a really gorgeous voice; I became a fan after listening to Rolling >_<

This is a fun discussion, I like this :D

How often do you hear people compliment her on her singing. It's always about her being pretty, looking like Kim Tae Hee - despite the fact that Jiyeon has, I think, a really gorgeous voice.

This is a fun discussion, I like this :D

Well,I do.Everytime I watch any of T-ara's videos (whether it's performances or interviews),almost 90% of the comments are about the top 2,that is Jiyeon and Eunjung.Although both of them are not my favourite members,but I gotta admit that Eunjung's singing skills is good.But,like you said,being pretty is her bonus and some of her "over-excited" (I'm not sure if the term exist) fans keep saying how excellent her singing skills is and sorry to those who think I'm talking about them,are too blind by her prettiness and can't judge her singing skills.But,yeah,different people has different taste in music.

A fun discussion,indeed........

Well,I do.Everytime I watch any of T-ara's videos (whether it's performances or interviews),almost 90% of the comments are about the top 2,that is Jiyeon and Eunjung.

Eunjung - yes, comments do compliment her on her singing. Jiyeon - much, much rarer. Obviously some fans - and not a large percentage of them at that - will compliment her on singing, and over-excited fans may take it a step too far (she can definitely still improve), but on the whole Jiyeon is only known for her looks and any skill in singing is generally glossed over, which leads to my belief that she is actually underrated. Not the most underrated, she's far from that, but underrated all the same.

Glad you agree haha.

Soyeon.

Though there are other less 'public' members as well, I have a particular bond with her (accounting for both the skills, looks and personality) that I feel she receives way less recognition that she deserves. I really wish I couldn't see more of her on varieties and such (dramas are nice, but not her true self).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I picked Qri unni. Its sorta unfair on her part since she clearly has amazing talents hidden inside her. And their CEO is clearly not doing anything to help her. I hope she'll be able to showcase it soon. But the adding of 2 new members is gonna make it hard for her since all attention will be on those two. and of course the Big three four.

I'm a Hyomin biased but I absolutely LOVE all the members.

Qri unni fighting!

• 3 weeks later...

I voted for Boram. She sounds like she can rap well, at least judging by their performance of TTL in Japan. I'm not sure how they would do the recording for Jewelry Box - as in whether or not they do it the same as they would for a Korean song, or if they use some kind of editing to help their Japanese - but she did good in the Japanese version of TTL as well. And her singing for the Day by Day songs sounded good in my opinion. I would say Boram has the potential to be a really good singer, she just doesn't get proper training for it, or enough lines for that matter.